Chapter 1: Rough beginnings

A/N: Hi, this is my first time writing a fic so please leave tips if you have any! Please enjoy!

Trigger warning: mentions of abuse, death, and neglect. Stay safe! <3

3rd person pov

Izuku Midoriya was born quirkless in an unforgiving world. His father bruised and burnt Izuku and his mother and then left a hole in their hearts when he disappeared. For five years it was just his mother, Inko, and him but at age 11 tragedy struck once more when Inko was killed in cold blood by a villain coming back from work.

He was put into a strict orphanage, not too far from his school. Still recovering from the loss of his mother, Izuku couldn't catch a break. The head of the orphanage wasn't fond of having to house a quirkless child and was frequently lying to families about him having some mental quirk. Izuku always told the truth about his quirkless life and often resulted in nights without diner or even beatings.

Even school didn't seem safe with teachers verbally abusing the boy or just watching as other students shoved Izuku into desks and lockers. It wasn't much help that the only person he viewed as a friend, Katsuki Bakugo, would start fights with Izuku and call him deku. Bakugo was nicer than he used to be in elementary school but still hatred flowed through him when he thought about deku.

The worst thing that came to him though, would be the crushing weight of really believing he was useless. Everyone in Izuku's life had told him he was useless, so much so he started to believe them.

So he trained.

He would wake up at 5:00am to nightmares and exit the orphanage before breakfast. He would run several blocks to get to a dirty beach not far from his old house. His mother took him here often and when he entered the 7th grade he promised himself he would clean it. So he could be useful.

For 2 years he trained, lifting garbage and trash off the beach. Before school and after running from bullies, he made that beach his life. He even skipped meals cleaning away and carrying heavy boxes, even a small broken car off the beach. Until he had finished.

Once the beach was clear it was like his mind was too. Even though nobody ever believed in him, even though his own body cursed him to be quirkless, he decided he would keep being useful and that he would become a hero. One that people could believe in. Quirkless or not he made up his mind and finished filling out the UA entrance form.

He will become a hero. He just had to.

Izuku POV

I couldn't sleep at all last night. Who could blame me tomorrow was the UA entrance exams. The exams that I have been training for. If I passed these tests I would be a hero with a purpose. IF I pass. My stomach feels like it's tied in thousands of knots, if I fail then it means I'm really useless. So useless I could pass just one exam.

...

No, I can't fail here. Not after everything I've done. I will prove my worth and I will be useful!

I hope.

I decided that I might as well get up and get ready for the day. I need to be in top condition for the exam. Even if it's 11:45 pm. I can rest on the train ride over to UA, I'm already awake so I should train. I can always work harder.

I slip on my bright red shoes and put a navy All Might hoodie over my pajama shirt. No reason to get entirely ready right now or my clothes will get all sweaty before I even make it to UA. I don't have a spare set of running clothes so my hoodie and a pair of worn out shorts will have to do. I quietly open my window and make my way down the fire escape hoping not to wake any of the other kids. Even if they don't like me or treat me well, it wouldn't be fair for me to wake them at this hour.