two

Growing up on the East Side of Tulsa was unforgiving. Sometimes, though, it was easy to forget about the city around you.

The jarring voice of the Temptations wafted through the humid air and out the open window of the bedroom. The occupant of the bed centered in the middle of the room groaned, rolling over and turned off the alarm. A messy head of cinnamon hair popped out from under the pillow, the owner turning her glare upon the sunlight streaming through the window.

"Caroline Montgomery! Get yer ass up outta that bed right now!" a woman hollered from downstairs.

"I'm up, ma!" she called back, pulling back her covers. Caroline planted her feet on the wooden floor beneath her and sighed, rolling her neck out in an attempt to help the stiffness in her back.

She quickly changed into her waitress uniform for the Dingo and grabbed her skates, tying the laces together while she slipped on her sneakers. Slinging the skates over her neck, she jogged downstairs, pinning her hair back into a semi-updo like the girls on the magazine wear.

"Mornin'," Caroline greeted her mother, pressing a kiss to her cheek as she passed her.

"You get off at 2, right?" her mother asked.

"And I'll be sure to pick Teddy and Louise up," Caroline sang, rushing out the door.

"Have a good day at work!" Mrs. Montgomery yelled just as the door shut. She sighed, leaning back against the kitchen counter and sighed, burying her head in her hands.

The Dingo was only a fifteen minute walk from the Montgomery residence and Caroline usually enjoyed the walk. Today, it was stifling hot and based off the humidity, a storm was brewing in the air.

A few cars were on the road since it was six in the morning, but the few that did whistled sharply in approval of her figure, Soc and Greaser alike. Caroline drew in on herself, not one to appreciate the unwanted attention.

She found herself as neither a Soc nor a Greaser. Although she lived on Greaser territory, the cinnamon haired young woman was more neutral than anything. She didn't identify with any label nor did she appreciate either lifestyle. Rather than going to the drive in or rumbles, Caroline found herself in the library or when she had just a little bit of extra cash to spend, the record shop.

She had always preferred the company of books since she was a little girl. In books, all bad things end. In books, the main character is strong and brave.

Another car honking as it passed broke her out of her reverie and she jumped, startled. Her roller skates went crashing to the ground. The Socs that drove passed jeered and laughed hysterically as they drove past and Caroline bowed her head, kneeling down to pick up her skates.

"Hey lady, you alright?" someone called out. A car pulled up next to her, providing her a view of the two teenage boys sitting in the front.

"I'm fine, thanks," she stammered out, hanging her skates over her neck once more.

"You need a ride anywhere?" the passenger asked, a handsome grin plastered on his face.

"Mighty kind of y'all to ask, but I'll be fine. I'm almost to my work," she replied, intent on just walking there. Being a neutral between the two groups of Tulsa meant that it was difficult to know who is who and what rules they follow. She wasn't too keen on getting in a strangers car without knowing them.

"It ain't safe for a pretty lady like you to be walking out all alone when Soc's are out," the boy argued. "Miss, we'd feel a lot better knowin' you got to work alright."

She shifted uncomfortably for a second, trying to decide what to do.

"Shit, Soda. You ain't even introduce yourself," the driver hissed and Caroline let a small smile creep up her face at the exasperation in his voice.