[ 011 ] a new camp

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER ELEVEN !

[ season two, episode three & four ]

They waited.

And waited.

And waited.

The clock was still perched on the wall, inanimate and soundless, but Marley spared it a glance every now and then — seeking comfort from something other than biting her nails and wiping her clammy palms on the thighs of her jeans.

More waiting meant the development of more nervous habits, and soon enough she was pacing the length of the dining room.

Her heart was lodged in her mouth with the knowledge that Carl was currently being operated on, under anaesthesia and carved into as if he were a pumpkin with scalpels and other sharp, shiny objects . . . everything that posed a risk to his life, carried out by someone who had only ever performed serious procedures on animals. It was a frightening prospect. She couldn't even begin to imagine how Rick and Lori felt.

On edge didn't quite cover it.

The night had fully dawned upon the travellers by the time Hershel told them the good news: Carl had stabilised.

They were so incredibly grateful for Mr Greene's precision and skill to bring Carl back to a state where his life wasn't on the line. They were thankful the elder man knew exactly what he was doing in the medical department, and relieved that their luck hadn't ran out at a time like this.

It was almost a miracle.

Marley almost toppled to the ground in relief when she heard the news, but she remained stoic and held herself up against a post on the front decking to maintain her respect toward Lori and Rick. Even when the trembling mother yanked Marley and her sister into a warm, motherly embrace, the eldest Whitman didn't shed a tear. She didn't want to give Lori another reason to cry.

That same night, she dreamt about her Mom. In the dream she was able to hug Monica Whitman again, but woke up with the daunting realisation that it hadn't been real.

For a while after she awoke, Marley sniffled and cried into her hands.

By noon the following day the remainder of the group had arrived. Marley was helping the Greene family and the other half of her group collect large rocks from a small ditch near the house when the rumble of a motorcycle echoed along the winding dirt-road. The sole purpose of gathering the rocks was so that they could create a monument that was to be dedicated to Otis — a man who died to save the life of another.