Second born fun

We sit for dinner, and Violet has decided that since both myself and Daphne are debuting this season, we must be sat together. Anthony is seated the other side of me, with his legs open to assert his dominance and his eyes slightly narrowed at me every time I take a sip from my drink or eat a pea off my plate. Myself and Anthony had never got along famously, ever since Benedict decided it should be a good idea to hide a frog in his bed and convinced me to help him to do it. I made the mistake of thinking Anthony might have moved on from that, but I suppose it must have traumatised him so much he simply could not.

"So, Matilda... tell me, you are looking forward to your time in London?" Daphne asks politely, poised and delicate as she bites into her vegetables.

"I am. It is a nice change of scenery, to begin with. I was growing tired of the same four walls." I smile back at her. "And yourself?"

"Yes, well... I am nervous." Daphne purses her lips for a moment, before she forces herself to relax.

"It is completely natural to be nervous, my dears." Violet interjects from across the table, which means that everyone now is involved in the conversation. "It shall seem quite daunting at first but I am sure it will become easier."

"Some nerves are a good thing." I am surprised Colin takes a break from ravenously shoving his food down his throat at record breaking speed to have any say in this.

"You do not want your nerves to be too extreme, though." Benedict now speaks. He is sat across from me, looking coyly up at me when he speaks again. "We should not want you vomiting all over the queen's nice new frock now, should we?"

"Or perhaps I should faceplant and smear my rouge all over her gown." I raise a gentle eyebrow back at him and he grins.

"Now, now. Neither of those things shall happen, the pair of you shall be flawless." Violet nods definitively, as though she does not wish for any more to be said on the matter. I remember well that she is not a fan of too much nonsense. "I shall take you both to the modiste tomorrow and we shall pick out the perfect dresses."

"Yes. And best get there before the Featheringtons, or all the good colours shall be gone. I do feel as though Matilda would rather suit canary yellow." Benedict teases, Colin grinning and chuckling along with a mouth full of food. I am not sure who the Featheringtons are and so this joke does not mean anything to me at all.

Violet merely tuts at this comment, ignoring him. "Yes, well. We shall go tomorrow for your presentation to the queen is not far away. Daphne, perhaps you can accompany Matilda to the town tomorrow too, buy some feathers or fascinators for her hair. Take Eloise with you as well."

Eloise flops back in her hair as though going shopping shall be the worst possible thing that could ever happen to her, groaning. "But, mother... I am supposed to be out with Penelope tomorrow-"

"Well then bring her along. It shall be nice for Matilda to meet as many of the other ladies beforehand as possible, you shall make her feel welcome, Eloise." Violet scowls a little, her eyebrows furrowing severely. Eloise huffs but accepts this, although she does roll her eyes at her mother one last time whilst her back is turned.

Dinner is over now, and it has all been cleared away. I am invited to join them in the lounge area, where I sit down on a long and comfortable seat. It has been a tiring day for me socially, I have not had so much interaction in the past year, nevermind in a day. I suppose it was good practice for me since I would have to engage men and suitors in conversations for the next few months.

"Whiskey, Matilda?" Benedict stands in front of me, with a glass in hand. I shake my head to indicate that I don't want it, and so he shrugs and flops down onto the seat by the side of me. He does not worry about his posture as I have to, sitting with his head against the arm rest, pouring the whiskey into his mouth. He glances across to Violet and Anthony, who seem to be having quiet cross words. "They argue a lot recently."

"They do? Why?"

"Because Anthony is argumentative." Benedict shrugs and I look at him. "The gossip is... he is seeing an opera singer on the side. He thinks it is a secret but it certainly is not, I am sure all of the ton know and if they do not, then they shall do by the end of the season. I am quite sure he thinks he is being discreet but he could not be less so. Mother is irritated by it, he must marry and he must continue the Bridgerton line."

"The responsibility of being a first born, I suppose." I take the whiskey glass from his hands and take a little sip. He keeps his eyes on me and I like it when his attention is on me.

"A responsibility I shall never know, and one I am glad I shall never know." Benedict sits up properly now, leaning gently into me as he takes the glass from my hands. It is improper, how close he is to me. I feel all my childlike giddiness rushing back as he places an absent minded hand on my leg. "Second borns have all the fun, you see."

"And what kind of fun is that?"

"If you are lucky enough, one day I might be able to show you."