eight

To be quite honest, Caroline never was crushin' on Darry Curtis when they were in school. Sure, she thought him to be handsome and a great football player, but he never paid her no mind. They were from two different worlds, it seemed.

But now, they were in the same world. They were both seen as poor street rats. They both worked themselves into the ground for their family. They both didn't get an opportunity to enjoy life like they should have.

Caroline just couldn't seem to get that boy outta her mind. She set her book down and sighed, running a hand through her thick curls. Standing, she walked over to where Louise and Teddy were reading.

"I'm just gonna go for a walk. Mama's napping upstairs so y'all be good, alright?" she hummed, dropping a kiss to the top of both their heads.

She slid on her coat and some booties, pulling her hair back into a low ponytail secured by a ribbon. The fall came quicker than expected and cool wind brushed against her cheeks and stung her nose as she walked out, feet kicking up the leaves surrounding her. She knew it was dangerous to walk alone, but it was a Sunday morning and most people would be getting back from church or sleeping off a hangover by now.

Stuffing her hands in her coat pockets, her brown eyes cast over the area, a soft hum escaping her lips. Her feet were leading her on her own accord and she zoned out, barely registering where she was going.

Someone tugged on her arm and she snapped out of her reverie, a startled gasp tearing from her lips as she raised her hands instinctively to cover her face.

"Caroline, it's jus' me," Darry said, his voice low. She opened her eyes, her hands lowering down and coming to rest on her hips, guarding her from the world.

"What're you doin' out here?"

"I just wanted to take a walk."

"Mind if I join ya?"

She flashed him a wide grin and nodded. He fell into step with her and they began to walk down the sidewalk of the park. Caroline shut her eyes, inhaling the autumn air as the wind whipped her hair around, tugging at the ends and twisting them into her eyes. Chuckling, she pushed the strands out of her face and tucked her hands into her coat pockets.

Darry tensed up next to her and she glanced over at him, noticing the big oak tree where they were passing. Of course, she noted in her mind.

"What were they like?" she asked softly.

He knew what she meant, but he just wanted to be sure. Chocolate brown eyes peered up at him behind thick lashes, conflicting emotions dancing within them. Her lips, untouched by red lipstick today but rather a pale pink, were turned down at the corner.

"Dallas Winston and Johnny Cade," she confirmed his thoughts. "I've heard rumors, good an' bad. But I ain't ever heard the truth from someone who really knew 'em. If you want to, I'd like to hear about 'em."

He shouldn't. By golly, he really shouldn't, but there was just something about Caroline Montgomery that made him want to sit her down and tell her his life story. She was innocent, untouched by the Greaser lifestyle. If he told her about Dally, would she see him differently? Would she associate him with crime and violence and death? His chest felt tight with discomfort. For some odd reason, he couldn't lose her.

But, the words spilled out of him before he could stop them. He told her everything from Dally and the Curtis parents to Johnny and his parents, about Dally's adventures in New York, about Johnny's run in with Socs.

About Ponyboy and Johnny running away. About the deaths. About Dally being shot right where they stood when the conversation started.

Caroline listened with rapt attention, laughing at times when he got that twinkle in his eyes talking about his folks and Dally and Johnny. She stayed silent when his expression crumpled and he spilled out what he needed to say. There was no judgement written on her face. No anger or grief.

Just understanding.

It was in that moment that Darrel Curtis realized that Caroline Montgomery wasn't a normal girl and that was totally, utterly, completely fine. She was forcing her way into his life one smile at a time and he had no protests. Life seemed brighter with her around.

It was true, what they said. She made people want to talk.