sixteen

The heat of the coffee radiated through the previously cool ceramic walls of the mug and into Caroline's soft, frost nipped fingers. Pulling her hands away from the mug, she tugged her hand through her hair, letting it flow freely over her shoulders. Her eyes stayed latched onto the swirling liquid in front of her and pulled her bottom lip with her tip, chewing on it. His jacket clung to her shoulders, making her look small.

The chair in front of her pulled out and a second mug appeared on the table. Darry sat down, staring at her with an unreadable expression. Here they were, seated in the middle of his kitchen.

"You said it ain't the first time you got beat," he finally spoke.

"Yeah, I was kinda hoping you'd miss that," she sighed, knocking her knuckles on the table. "My father."

"Texas," he added and she nodded, looking up at him through thick lashes. "I thought so. You had the look in your eyes."

"The look?"

"Johnny's ma and pa did the same. He had this look in his eyes like...like he had seen Hell yet he kept getting back up."

Her lips tugged down at the corners and she shrugged, a dark look passing across her face. Drumming her fingers on the mug, she bit her lip. He watched her nostrils flare as she exhaled deeply.

"He threw me through a window. That was the final straw. There was so much blood that Mama thought I was dead. I still have the scars..."

Caroline grew quiet at the end of her sentence, drawing in on herself. Darry shut his eyes, running a hand over his face.

"To be quite honest, I would like to beat the ever living shit out of him," Darry finally said. It elicited a startled laugh out of her.

"He gets out soon and I'll be honest, I'm scared."

Her eyes fluttered shut, the soft brown lashes brushing the tops of her smooth, pale cheeks. Tilting her head down, her cinnamon curls tumbled over her shoulder and framed her face. He studied her for a second, making a mental picture of the slight crooked dip in her nose, the fullness of her lips, and the small wrinkles at the corner of her eyes. Then there was the ugly bruising of her black eye that was a stark reminder as to why they were here, sitting across from each other.

In that moment, she looked twenty years older than her nineteen year old self.

Darry had no idea what took over him, but he stood and kneeled down next to her chair, grasping her hand. Caroline's eyes shot open and she stared at him in surprise.

"Caroline, I ain't gonna let anything happen to you. I can help with whatever you need," he swore.

"I can take care of myself," she protested weakly and he shook his head.

"But you don't have to do it alone. I remember seein' you in class helpin' others even though you barely talked. You're raisin' your siblins' and helpin' your ma while doing little for yourself. Caroline, let me in."

A fond smile crossed her lips and she rested her slim hand on his cheek, stroking her thumb across his sun kissed skin. Even in winter, he was still tanned from working on roofs. A tear slipped down her cheek and she sniffled.

"As long as you let me help you," she bargained. "You work yourself ragged to help your brothers an' friends. I remember the day you came into the diner when it was raining..."

"I couldn't afford a coffee," he added. "You gave it to me on the house."

"I'm a sucker for men with a puppy dog look in their eyes," she teased and then let out a shriek as he gently pinched her arm, an amused look in his bright blue eyes. Their eyes locked and it was like all the air was sucked out of the room. She inhaled sharply and then breathed out a, "yes."

Darry pulled her in, his lips brushing against hers as his arms slid around her waist. Her hand moved from his cheek to his hair, messing up his greased and tuff look. Snickering filled the air and they pulled apart quickly, their heads snapping over to face the front door where Sodapop, Steve, and Ponyboy were staring in amusement.

"Shouldn't y'all be at, oh I don't know, work and school?" Darry griped, standing up so he could face them with a little more dignity. That was hard considering they just saw him making out with their friend.

"Power outage from some idiot drivin' into a pole knocked out power at the DX and the school," Soda explained and Caroline groaned, standing.

"I gotta go pick up Teddy and Louise," she announced.

"I'll drive ya," Darry told her and she shook her head, opening her mouth to protest. He gave her a pointed look and she shut her lips, a smile threatening to break across her face. Instead, she nodded and said farewell to the boys, sliding on her coat and making her way to the front door.

"Nice job, Dare," Soda stage whispered to his brother. "We knew you could do it."

Darry pushed him onto the couch while rolling his eyes and followed Caroline out to the sound of raucous laughter behind them.