CHAPTER FOURTEEN

𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐒𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐚

     "Mirabel, Mirabel, Mirabel!" Camilo pounded on his cousin's door, hearing her grumble on the other side. "What do you want, Camilo?" She slightly opened the door, her narrowed eyes showing through the cracks.

     He rubbed his arm, "Y/N didn't show up today, did she mention anything to you?" Mirabel sighed, letting him inside her room. "I don't know if there's a connection, I'm not saying there is!" She rambled while Camilo sat on her bed. "Y/N said that she will go to Lucia Moreno before you two meet up."

     Moreno. He looked at Mirabel in disbelief— La Familia Moreno had always been a prickly topic for the Madrigals. Their late grandfather used to be the leader of the pack, the former mayor until Abuela Alma received the miracle. Since then, it had been a one sided competition for power.

     "You think?" Without finishing his question; he raised his brows at her, implying that maybe something did happen during Y/N's visit. Mirabel crossed her arms, "No, I'm not going to say anything anymore." She pulled him up from her bed and pushed him out of her room. "Maybe ask Dolores if she heard anything!" She closed with a bang.

     Camilo shook his head, making his way towards Dolores' door which opened immediately before he could even lay his hands on the wood. "Hey, mi hermana!" He awkwardly greeted, leaning against the frame to seem cool. Dolores gave him an unimpressed look, making a little noise like she usually does, "Gutiérrez was noisy today and I guess his son is too." 

     "Who were they talking to?"

     "The girl I always hear you with." She replied. Camilo looked at the ground before cautiously asking, "Were they about the nasty rumors?" Dolores smiled at her little brother, taking a quick glance on the ring on her finger. "No, but that rumor didn't bother me so don't worry too much." Camilo exhaled— ever since news transpired of her engagement with Mariano, Gutiérrez had been vocal, blabbing his incorrect theory about the Madrigal's so-called cheating scandal. It was a low attempt to climb his way up the social ladder, unfortunately, some wanted to believe it was true for the sake of having dirt on the Madrigals. "What were they telling her?"

     Dolores scrunched up her nose, she tried to differentiate the voices she heard that time. It ultimately led to nothing. She sighed in defeat, "Sorry, Milo, Gutiérrez wasn't louder than Felipe's snoring." Defeated, he bid his goodnights to his sister.

     However Camilo was up all night, tossing and turning in a carousel carriage. The bright carnival lights in his room weren't helping, it only made him even more sleepless. Gutiérrez always weaseled his way through the crowd, he had gotten chummy with the gossips. The geezer may looked like a twig but his words are his weapon. Camilo got up from his seat, catching a glimpse of a funhouse mirror in the distance.

     His reflection distorted and for a moment it flashed into a taller man— one with hair a lighter shade of brown and murkier green eyes. Perhaps Gutiérrez wasn't the one he should be looking for, his son might also know a thing or two.

    The next morning, he ventured to the marketplace. It wasn't his favorite place, the place was a steaming place of people sweating and pushing past each other. Yells of vendors, customers trying to get a lower price; it was a type of chaos he didn't want to partake in.