✹twenty five✹

╣wrapped in lannister red and gold to conceal their blood╠

Ned found himself, once again, in the capital of the Seven Kingdoms for the wedding of a royal. Though this wedding was far different than the last he had attended. Dragon banners did not line the streets and instead of Rhena and Jaime Lannister at the altar, it was Robert with Cersei. His Cersei.

Jaime stood to the side, donning his shining King's Guard armor with the same heartbroken expression which he had been wearing since his marriage to Rhena Targaryen was dashed away by the Mad King. The lines on his face seemed to age him years over nineteen and Ned felt pity for the man. For how much loss he had been dealt over the past year; Rhena, Casterly Rock, his son. However cocky and arrogant he was, Jaime was still a man and Ned had enough in him to pray for his happiness.

Catelyn was to his left with Robb, named for the new king, in her arms and a gentle smile slowly made its way across her face as she watched the scene before her. Ned was certain he would come to love her. She was a kind soul with looks to beat any Northern woman he'd ever met. He was sure that they would be happy with each other.

But that didn't stop the flood of emerald eyes and golden hair in his dreams at night.

He was the eldest Stark son now. He was worthy enough to wed Cersei, if not for his honor and her hunger for power. And now she stood before the whole kingdom wed to a man whose mind wandered to Lyanna, body dead and cold in the Stark crypts. Ned's mind would have never wandered if he had Cersei. He would have never even thought to look at Catelyn Tully if Tywin had considered a marriage between Ned and Cersei. And yet, thus was the way of life.

Ned did not dance with Cersei during her wedding feast. He did not dance with anyone. Catelyn spun around the room by various lords of the kingdoms but Ned couldn't find it in him to care. Something that Catelyn noticed and was clearly angered by.

The new Lord Stark stood in a corner with a large goblet of wine as he watched the couples on the dance floor. He watched as the new Baratheon king drowned himself in wine and ale. He watched as Robert made eyes at different serving girls when they stepped up to refill his cup. And he watched as Cersei scowled at her stuffed pigeon in disgust.

When the bedding ceremony was called for, no man moved to touch the new queen for she was already arm in arm with her brother, the kin-saying Kingslayer. She met his eyes for only a moment and Ned was able to imagine that she was being led to his chambers. That it was him, not Robert, who would bed her.

But the moment was gone as soon as she rounded the corner.

Jaime held onto Cersei. It was the only thing that he could do. He couldn't remember much of the past few months in between the death of his goodfather and the crowning of Robert Baratheon. Cersei had been sold off like a cow and she was the only thing close enough to his old life that he could find.

Rhena was dropped cold at the feet of the new king just weeks prior. His niece and nephew lay with her, all wrapped in Lannister red and gold to conceal their blood. Robert had laughed at the sight and called the three of them dragon spawn before the court which had gathered in his honor. It had taken everything that Jaime had in him to not run through a second king.

Her bones were sent back to Casterly Rock at his father's request. However short, Rhena was a Lannister and had born a Lannister child. Though the babe was lost in the sea before Robert's men had been able to kill it themselves. 

He had cried that night in his apartments and no one had come. No one was left to comfort him. Jaime had failed Rhaegar. He had failed Viserys. He had failed Rhaella and Elia and her children. But most of all he had failed Rhena and their child. They were all dead and each one somehow tied back to Jaime. A shame that would never escape him.

As he lay on the soft feather bed in his chambers he tried not to think of Viserys' eyes, filled with wonder and awe when Jaime would train with Rhaegar. Jaime tried not to think of Aegon, still in the cradle, so similar to his unborn babe. He tried not to think of Rhaenys who he would sneak treats to and who would sit on his shoulders, hands round his head and smile upon his face. And last, he tried to forget Elia's smiles and Rhaella's kindness. Those were the gifts which he hardly deserved in the first place. Now he was disgracing their memory by serving a sorry excuse of a king. 

Jaime should have taken the first boat he could find to protect Viserys. The last dragon, his brother by everything but blood. 

A year later the lords were summoned to King's Landing in honor of the Crowned Prince Joffrey of golden head and emerald eyes.