50. the helm of darkness

G A Y L E

MY throat suddenly feels dry, so dry that I could take a straw and lap up the entire Atlantic Ocean, and it'd still be dry.

I pace a few steps while my fingers click against one another, a million little thoughts flooding my brain.

Hey, Mr. King of the Underworld, Lord of the Dead... so get this; I lost your most prized possession in a labyrinth a couple of months ago and I've been lying to your very gorgeous, very generous, very naive wife about it to cover my tracks... sorry?

No, I groan, feeling the overwhelming urge to freeze myself in ice so that I don't have to deal with this situation.

I take a few steps backwards in retreat, watching the blackwood door leading to the dark lord's chambers become smaller and smaller in the distance.

I come to a halt, sighing and raking my fingers over my face at the realization that I have to come clean. Even if I get punished, I have to take it like the warrior I know I can be.

but it would be nice if he just didn't care about the stupid helmet, please? God? Buddha? Apollo? Anybody?

I motion to knock on the door, my tightly wound fist barely touching the deep, dark wood when it suddenly bursts open.

My eyes widen as my heart hammers against my chest. I stumble a few steps backwards as I start wishing I too was a greek god so that I could apparate and disapparate as I please.

However, I'm trapped in this super-mortal body, contemplating my next move as the King of the Underworld himself comes to view.

But imagine my surprise, when on top of his head is a metallic contraption that looks eerily similar to the one I misplaced in the labyrinth.

He looks just as shocked to see me, as his eyes widen and he stops in his tracks. He was apparently getting ready for bed, because he's draped in a sable black mink fleece gown, and he currently has a foamy toothbrush between his rosy lips, which he let's go of as his hands drop to his sides.

"When is my big, bad Snuggluffagus coming back to bed?" I can hear Persephone's sweet voice coo in the background. "Little baby Zagreus and I are loney-wonely, aren't we?"

I try with all my might to conceal the howls of laughter threatening to break free as he clears his throat. "Snuggluffagus will be there in a minute, Poopsie." He mutters lowly, before snapping his fingers and disappearing into clouds of mist.

The foam and toothbrush are gone by the time he reappears, though I could swear I sense a smudge of toothpaste on the edge of his pale cheek. He's draped in a well fitting black suit, as usual and he glances up, a hard look in his eyes.

My attention returns to the helmet over his head, and all the amusement from a few moments ago disappears as the confusion resurfaces. "Your helm... where did you...?" I can't even form a coherent sentence when I remember the predicament I'm in.

Isn't this helmet supposed to be hydra-chum back in the labyrinth?

His dark brow furrows at my ramblings, and his fingers follow my gaze to the helm of darkness on his head.

Suddenly, in his eyes there's some sort of realization, and he sighs, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Hermes gave it back to me several weeks ago. He told me what he'd done and mostly took the blame for it. Of course, this was before I found out he was conspiring with the enemy. Had I known I would have stricken him right down, all the way to Tartarus." He sighs, the same old unreadable expression flitted onto his face.

My mouth feels dry again.

Hermes, the traitor and the liar... went back into the labyrinth, found the helmet and gave it back to its rightful owner? Why would he do that? Especially since he's such a colossal jackass.

I figured he would enjoy watching me trip over my feet to excuse myself in front of Hades.

I can't say I'm not pleasantly surprised.

I finally feel at ease, after so many sleepless nights and panic attacks just thinking about what Hades would do to me once he found about his helmet, only to hear he's had it all this time. It feels good. It's another burden I can release.

"Oh." I reply, scratching the back of my head. "Well, I guess that's settled." I shrug, taking a moment to bow. "If that'll be all then, my liege..."

"You came to me."

"I know, I know." I sigh. "Goodnight." Turning to make my leave, I begin to take a few steps back.

"Gayle." His cold, deep, demanding voice echoes throughout the hallways, cutting through the relief I've been blessed with and stealing it away.

When I turn back around, his face is serious, nothing but pure intimidation flashes through his eyes.

We both stand there for a few moments as he watches me calculatedly, robotically, almost as if he's not sure of what to say.

Finally, after several moments, he says something. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather stay safe down here in the Underworld tomorrow?" He asks. "This isn't going to be like the first time. It's going to be worse. There will be blood, carnage and there will be death. The titans are more ruthless than my little brother can ever dream to be. Can you handle it?" He asks, his brow hiking up in question.

I gulp, feeling that all too familiar sense of nervousness flood over me again.

That's the question, isn't it? Will I really be able to handle an all out war? I barely held it together the first time. I was more of a burden than I was an asset. In fact, I believe I opened up a certain little box and made matters twenty times worse.

Will I be able to be an asset this time? A real asset?

"I guess we'll have to find out." I reply, a warm smile finding its way onto my face, even though warm is far from what I'm feeling at the moment.

The truth is that I'm not the same Gayle I used to be. Now, more than ever. I've changed. I'm no expert on video games but this time I plan on taking out the boss.

My eyes widen when I notice what seems like the ghost of a smile at the ends of Hades' lips. He clears his throat before too long, and his usual expression, the one that makes me feel so uneasy flits back onto his face.

He sighs. "Well, then. I guess you'll need this." He retorts, pulling off the helm of darkness and fitting it onto my head.

I can't help but feel a sense of pride and honour.

The god of the Underworld himself is entrusting me with his most prized possession. "You'd better not lose it this time, or I swear the titans will not be your biggest problem." He drawls, raking his fingers through the tussle of jet black hair on his head. "Goodnight, mortal."

I grin, placing my fingers on the dial at the side of the helmet. "Goodnight, Snuggluffagus" I salute him before turning the dial and disappearing from sight, completely invisible.

As I prance down the halls, I can't help but notice how his lips turn up into a bit of a smile as he shakes his head.

Finally, he turns around and disappears back into his room.