20

The month of January is one rich in activities, newfound friendships, and good resolutions.

Rich in activities, because I've joined a book club and a running group, and I have never read so many books nor ran so many miles in a month.

The book club is ran by Joy, an energetic biology major with long blonde hair and a thousand-watts smile. Joy and I have quickly struck up a friendship, as her happy and optimistic disposition somewhat makes me see the good in my everyday life.

It does seem corny, but it is refreshing.

The running group is not nearly as amateur as they advertised it to be, but I can be found at the back of the group, coughing and sweating, but enjoying every minute of it. The first evening of running with this group, I had so much trouble keeping up, both physically and morally, that two of the runners, later introduced as Sierra and Derrick had hung back and run with her. They'd tried to start a conversation, not understanding yet to what point I couldn't keep up, let alone talk.

Sierra and Derrick had then switched to encouraging her or yelling at her that "You can do it!" and "It's all in your head."

When the 5 mile run was over, I'd thanked them, knowing full well that I'd have been dropped if it weren't for them. The head of the group, Mike, was a serious looking guy who didn't wait for anyone, just kept his pace and never wavered from it.

Good resolutions had then taken the form of evening study sessions with Joy. But also drinks at one of the College bars, Cheers & Beers, with Sierra and Derrick, who always bring friends.

And with me wanting to improve my grades a little- they are not bad, per se, but my mental health has certainly taken its toll. It results in a very busy January. In consequence, I think a lot less about Diana. Well, a little less. Just maybe once Every day.

But it's just because I seem to see her everywhere.

She is the woman waiting in front of me at the coffee shop, with her long almost black hair, until the woman in question turns around to reveal harder features, and is probably ten or fifteen years older than Diana.

She is the beautiful blue eyes on the cover of a book, the woody perfume in the library that belongs to one of Joy's friends.

Thankfully, I have other things to focus on. Especially right now, as I'm having Friday night drinks with Kyle, Derrick and Sierra, who as usual, brought their friends. I don't have time to feel bored with them, especially when Derrick is craning his neck over our heads, looking every two seconds at the bar's entrance.

I put on my best teasing smile, and nudge him with my knee. "Waiting for someone, Derrick?" The glare he throws me and the way his shoulders tense makes me double over with laughter, and soon, the whole table's attention is on us.

"Is someone else coming?" Kiera, Sierra's best friend asks. "Is this about the pretty blonde?"

"What pretty blonde?" Kyle whines. "I never know about these things!" He then turns to me "You should keep me up to date, Ken."

"Kyle, I'm sorry I failed you as a best friend. We're talking about Joy, you know my new friend from book club." His eyes don't light up in recognition. "She came last week for tea! Short, glasses, blonde."

"Oh I see!" Then, Kyle turns to Derrick with an evil glint in his eyes. "Oooh, I see "

If Derrick could blush, I'd swear he'd be red from his chest to the top of his ears. Fortunately for him, his dark skin covers a large amount of his embarrassment.

Still, it's too late for him to deny, and now everyone at the table is debating whether Joy might be interested in him or not, and I'm playing the game too, speaking in hushed voices and heads bumping over the table.