Chapter 11: The wedding night

Tine's POV

Sitting on the dining table, I clinked my fork on the empty plate in front of me again, feeling the weight of the brand new ring on my skin.

I had been sitting there for almost an hour or even more — I couldn't quite remember. When Marie left, I tried to forget about what she told me, I really did. But before I knew it, I had already called Sarawat's number and I was yelling at him.

It was only when I put down the phone did I realise what I had done.

This marriage was an agreement and we both get something out of it but that doesn't mean he is my actual husband who needs to report everything to me-- No that's not the point. He should have at least told me he was leaving. I would never make him stay, I never even asked him to stay. He was the one who said he would stay. May be he shouldn't be making promises he can't keep, or may be that's who he is--

"Who's that?" I turned around and heard a car stop in the driveway. I heard the car doors open and close. Did Sarawat send someone to get his stuff?

Before I could even get up, I heard footsteps in the house, gradually getting closer.

"Hey.." And there he was, standing at the dining room entrance. The man who married me in the morning and then disappeared like a ghost, looking completely surprised as if he didn't know I was living in his house. "Hi.. sorry I didn't think I'd find you here."

"Where else would I go leaving your mansion, Mr Guntithanon?" I laughed sadly. "If I went out alone and people found out we got married today, they'd start to suspect things, wouldn't they? At least one of us has to do the smart thing."

"Right..." He said, as he walked closer to the dining table, leaned over it "I—I am sorry for today. I should have told you I was leaving town."

"No, you don't have to be sorry. Its fine." I looked away. "Just because we got married and signed a few papers doesn't mean I have to know everything about your life and you have to know everything about mine. We can just live our lives the way we used to. I am the one who should be sorry."

"No."

"What?" I finally looked at him, confused.

"No I don't want that, Tine. I am very sorry for today. I should have told you — No I should have just come home instead."

I stared down at my empty plate again, may be I should have had dinner earlier instead of overthinking everything in my head. "Nevermind Sarawat, I don't care--"

"Fuck I forgot it in the car.."

"What?" I looked up but before I could finish my own sentence Sarawat had suddenly turned around and ran outside. I heard the car open and close again. A few seconds, later I heard Sarawat's footsteps getting nearer.

When he came back in the dining hall, he was holding a bouquet of blue-colored flowers.

"What.. is this...?" I finally stood up from my chair, still confused.

"Its for you." Sarawat put in my hands. "I am sorry."

I stared at him, and then back at the flowers."What... are ... those?"

"Purple hyacinth."

"They look blue to me."

"They are purple. Blue hyacinths are different."

"Do you like these flowers?" I asked.

"Not too much, I suppose."

I stared at the bouquet for a long time, waiting for him to explain more, but he never did.