THIRTEEN

On the evening of December 31, 1989, Cambria sat in the kitchen at the Harding residence, having drinks with Jackson's family. Jackson was upstairs getting himself ready.

"I swear he takes longer than I do," Cambria said to Leanne.
"He's very high maintenance," Leanne replied. "I'm not sure why."
"He gets it from you," Landon countered.
"He does not."
"I'm not high maintenance," from Victoria.
"You brought a Vitamix to Australia so you could have smoothies every morning."
"I don't think that's high maintenance."
Her mother gave her a look. "Perhaps you are."
Dave opened another bottle of merlot and topped their glasses. "Just let the boy take his time. He needs it."
"Has to look good for Cambria," Kyle remarked.
"Oh, shut up," she replied.
"Would you marry Jackson if he asked you?" Landon asked her.
"He has a girlfriend."
"Yeah, you."
"You know we love you, Cambria," Leanne said.
"Jackson's going to kill you guys," she said.
"Who am I going to kill?" Jackson suddenly appeared in the kitchen. He was wearing black dress pants and a navy blue button-down, a dark blazer draped over his arm.
"You look nice," his mother told him as he sauntered over to where they sat.
"What are you guys doing? Talkin shit?"
"Obviously," Cambria said.
"You ready to go?"
"Let me just finish my drink."
Jackson pulled out a chair and sat next to her. "Why are you wearing lipstick?"
"Because it's New Year's and I want to look nice."
"It looks weird."
"Does it?"
"It does not," Leanne told her. "Don't listen to him, you look beautiful."
"You never wear lipstick," he continued.
Cambria rolled her eyes and finished the remnants of her drink. "Let's go," she stood. She was wearing a dark ruby gown, tight fitted to her body, sweetheart neckline. Her hair was done up lavishly. She could feel Jackson's eyes on her, trailing the length of her body.
"Nice dress," he said to her.
"Thanks. I could never get away with wearing this back home. There's usually six inches of snow on the ground this time of year."
"Well you definitely won't be cold tonight."

They arrived just after eight. The house was full and bustling, as it normally was whenever Grayson Welch hosted a party. They passed the living room on their way to the kitchen and saw Fendi being passed around. Someone had their shirt off and was dripping hot candle wax onto his own chest.

They both grabbed a cup and filled it, joining the others who were standing around the table playing beer pong.

"Where's Gray?" Jackson asked Ian.
"Upstairs dealing with a situation."
"Already?"

As the ball was thrown back and forth, Cambria reflected on the year. It had only been seven months since she moved here but it had felt like a lifetime. January to May was a distant memory now, a time she was unfamiliar with, a person she was no longer. She had been working a job she loathed, living in her childhood home, with no plan, no direction. She was comfortable, but stagnant. And then there was the morning of her twenty-fourth birthday, when she woke up, the realization dawning on her. She didn't want to end up like her brother. She was suffocating, and she needed to escape.

She thought back to an earlier conversation she had with Jackson, when he asked her if she had any resolutions for the New Year.

"Not currently," she replied. "I can't think of anything."
"What do you want to change about your life?"
"Nothing. I love my life right now."
"Nothing at all?"
She pondered this. Recalled the conversation they had at Jonah's that night.
"I think I need to fall in love."
"With who?"
"Somebody. Anybody."
"You miss Theo?"
"Fuck off."
"It's a serious question."
She was quiet for a moment. "I could say no. But we both know I'd be lying."
"I know."
"I feel like an idiot."
"You're not. It's okay to miss someone. It's okay to love someone."
"Not someone who never loved you back."

Now, she looked around the room, scanning the sea of people for something, anything.

By eleven o'clock, Cambria was hammered. Not only had she played (and won) three consecutive games of beer pong, she had also finished multiple vodka sodas and taken several shots of rum. The room was spinning and Jackson had four eyes, two heads.

"I'm going to go lay down," she told Jackson.
He gave her a puzzled look. "Where?"
"I don't know."

She wandered off, pushing through the crowd, until she reached the foyer. Opening the front door, she peered outside to see if anyone was out there. It was empty.

She slipped on a pair of random shoes and walked outside, closing the door behind her.

The air was cool and refreshing. She closed her eyes and breathed, finally able to hear her own thoughts again. She opened her eyes and looked around, unsure of what to do, where to go. She had no clear objective when she had opened that door, and now, she was lost.

She walked over to the grass, dragging her feet. She sat, then lay back so she was facing the sky. Everything was spinning, but she felt good. Happy. Content.

She smelt cigarette smoke and instantly thought of Jackson. She closed her eyes and inhaled, even though she loathed the smell.

"Are you alive?"
Her eyes shot open. Hovering above her was a stranger.
"I'm alive."
He took another drag and exhaled, looking at her inquisitively. "What are you doing out here?"
"I'm not sure."
"What's your name?"
"Cambria."
"That's a beautiful name."
"And you are...?"
"Lawson," he extended his hand. She contemplated it a moment, then shook it.
With his hand still in hers, she pulled, hard, and he came stumbling down towards her, nearly on top of her.
"Where'd you come from?" he laughed as he readjusted and lay next to her.
"That's a great question."
"You don't know?"
"There are just so many answers."
He found this amusing. "How much have you had to drink?"
"Enough."
He offered her the cigarette and she declined.
"Where'd you come from?" she asked.
He inhaled the smoke, breathed it out. "Stratton."
"What brings you here?"
"I came with a buddy of mine. He knows the owner."
"Grayson."
"That's his name?"
"Yes."
"I like the snake."
"Everybody does."
"You still haven't answered my question."
She gave him a look. "And I'm not going to." She faced the sky again. "It's so beautiful."
He followed her gaze and looked up. "It is. And only twenty minutes till countdown."
"And then it's 1990."
"A new decade." He looked at her again. "Did you come here with someone?"
"Jackson."
"Is that your boyfriend?"
She laughed. "No. Just a friend."
"Does he know that?"
"He has a girlfriend."
"She here?"
Cambria didn't respond.
"Ah," he took another drag. "I see."
"It's not like that."
He caught her eye. She held his gaze. "Will you come inside with me?"
She thought about it. "Okay."
He stood first, then extended his hand and helped her up. Once they were standing, she realized how tall he was.
They remained that way for a moment, simply staring at one another. Lawson flicked his cigarette but didn't break eye contact. And then they went inside.

Jackson now a forgotten thought, she followed Lawson throughout the house until they reached the living room, where everyone was gathered for the countdown.

Someone handed her a glass of champagne. The TV was on, displaying Times Square. And then before she knew it, the countdown was beginning.

Five, four, three, two, one.

"Happy New Year!" The room erupted, whistles and cheers and claps all around. She looked at Lawson, and he looked at her, and then he kissed her.

They pulled away and stared at each other. Remained that way for a moment. Then she brought her hands to his neck and pulled him to her once again.