Chapter 10

Papa helps me to his room, holding most of my weight as the pain starts to get worse again.

"Has this happened before?" He asks, setting me down in his chair.

"No, this is the first time," I answer, clutching at my head.

The objects around us started floating again but he pays no attention to them.

"Hey, look at me. I'm not going to let anything happen to you ok. And if anything, I'm sure Mirabel will save the miracle," he says in comfort, I smile at him.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes again, focusing on the energy and keeping it down. The pain goes away, the objects stop floating but my eyes continue to glow.

"My eyes are still bright green, aren't they?" I ask. He nods. I sigh, getting up.

"Hey hey hey, where are you going?" He says, grabbing my arm and sitting me back down.

"Papa, I need to get to my room because I know Camilo will go looking there one time or another and I sadly can't just disappear. I wish I could, but I can't," I tell him, getting up again.

"I'll see you soon okay, I promsie. I just gotta show I'm still alive and change out of my binder," I go and give him one last big hug, wanting to never let go.

"I'm glad I got to see you again Mateo. I really did miss you a lot," he says, pulling back.

"I missed a lot too Papa. But now you don't have to hide. Not from me at least," I say before leaving, turning out and going back to my room, watching my door flicking with my now bright, glowing, neon green eyes.

Mirabel's POV
Isabella and I land in a pile of flowers, laughing.

"You're a bad influence," she says with a smile. But Abeula's angry voice ruins the moment.

"What is going on!" She yells. We get up quickly and I gasp.

"Abeula. It's ok. Everything's, we're going to save the miracle. The magic..." she cuts me off.

"What are you talking about? Look at our home, look at your sister!" She exasperates.

"Please just. Isabella wasn't happy," I try to explain but Abeula wasn't having it.

"Of course she isn't happy. You ruined her proposal."

"No no, she needed me to ruin her proposal. And then we did all this," I gesture to all the flowers, "and the candle burned brighter and the cracks..."

"Mirabel."

"That's why I'm in the vision. I don't know about Mateo yet but I'm saving the miracle!"

"You have to stop Mirabel!" She yells at me. My smile drops. "The cracks started with you. Bruno left because of you and Maria."

"It's Mateo," I correct quietly but she keeps going.

"Luisa's losing her powers. Isabella's out of control. Maria's missing. Because of you! I don't know why you weren't given a gift, but it is not an excuse for you to hurt this family!" The cracks start to grow as I look down.

"I will never be good enough for you," I say quietly, "will I? No matter how hard I try. No matter how hard any of us tries." Mama and Papa has entered the room by now.

"Luisa will never be strong enough. Isabella won't be perfect enough. Mateo, and yes his name is Mateo not Maria, is like his father, and yet you fear that because you feared Bruno. And he is a boy, but you aren't able to see that.

"He isn't dangerous, you are. Bruno left this family because you only saw the worst in him like you only see the worst in Mateo." I continue on.

"Bruno didn't care about this family," she tries to say.

"He loves this family. Mateo loves this family. I love this family, we all love this family. You're the one who doesn't care. You're the one breaking our home," the cracks grow even more, circling us.

"Don't you ever..." I cut her off again.

"The miracle is dying...because of you!" I say, standing firmly. Abeula's face falls.

Casita splits right down the middle of us and Tia Pepa reaches out to the dying candle. I look up and watch the cracks quickly make its way to the candle, making it fall as Casita splits in two.

I run in the direction of it and called for Casita to get me up there. A railing comes down and acts as a ladder for me to climb up.

I watch Camilo come from his room, dodging the falling pieces with his shape shifting. Isa uses a vine to try to swing up but as the house collapses onto her door, she falls, her power dissapearing.

Casita catches her, bringing her safely back down. Camilo jumps but his door goes out too, becoming not tall enough to reach it and falling down as well.

I finally reach the top and rush toward the candle, only stopping for a second to see the mountain breaking.

"Mirabel! Mirabel!" Mama calls, trying to run to me but Casita pushes her and Papa out.

I see Bruno out safely and just have to hope the other part of his vision doesn't come true and Mateo stays safe. Because if he ends up dead on my account, I'd never be able to forgive myself.