Chapter 23

"What do you want?"

Inara raised her eyebrow. "What's up with that tone? I just wanna chat a little."

Kairo leaned back in his chair so far that it was on the verge of toppling over and lazily spun around in circles. "About what?"

"Well, I was wondering—"

"Wooooo!" he interrupted loudly, spinning faster in his chair, the old plastic creaking dangerously.

"Ugh, you're such a little kid," she scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Anyway, I wanted to ask—"

She was interrupted by a loud crash as the back of the old chair snapped and the boy fell backwards with a thud, laughing to himself as if it was the funniest thing that had ever happened to him. He didn't even try to get up, laying in the remains of the item he had just accidentally broken.

"Are you even listening?" she demanded, her eyes narrowing.

"Yeah yeah, just ask it already."

"I just wanted to ask you to go out on a walk with me."

He was silent for a while, not because he was trying to process the proposition, but because just wanted to see how much irritation she could handle. No matter how annoying he tried to be, he couldn't seem to get her off his back. It was as if she found his behavior charming in a strange way and only feigned annoyance for a reason he couldn't even fathom. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see her shift anxiously as she awaited his response.

"What's in it for me?"

She blinked rapidly, raising an eyebrow. "What do you mean? We're just gonna hang out a little. It's mutual benefit."

"Bold of you to assume that's something I even want to do."

"Kairo," she sighed. "C'mon, I helped you out with your errands and tasks while you were handling Slade's little cat allergy issue yesterday. Surely I should get some kind of act of gratitude."

"Well, thanks sincerely for stepping up to do that."

"That's all I get?"

He tilted his head upward so that he was looking at her upside down. "Yup," he returned cheekily before rolling over and pulling himself to his feet. With one hand, he stood what was left of the chair up and was pleased to see that it still stood upright, despite missing its back. He lazily gave it a twirl while the girl remained leaned against the doorway.

Inara groaned. "Ugh, you're my second biggest headache after that stupid Blank girl."

He paused abruptly, his fingers sliding off of the chair. "What now?"

"When I went to check up on her and bring her food, the little punk pushed me."

"Naw, she wouldn't," he laughed in disbelief, shaking his head. "She's too timid and gentle for that."

"Uh, yeah, she did, so I taught her a lesson."

He froze in his tracks, his jaw subconsciously clenching. A sinking feeling formed in his chest and an unexpected worry spread through his entire system, running through his veins and turning his blood cold. He whirled around and began stalking toward her heavily. Inara's eyes widened and she backed up instinctively as he towered over her, his eyes narrowing. "What the hell did you do?"

"I...I just put her in her place and reminded her who she was," she replied indignantly, but her voice faltering displayed her lack of confidence. She didn't take her eyes off of him, confused at his sudden angry reaction.