Chapter 1

Emma was hiding from Sir Morval. He has been 'courting' her for the past 3 weeks.

'Please leave, I can't feel my legs,' Emma thought as she was buried awkwardly behind a blueberry bush. After a better part of an hour, he left.

Emma couldn't help but shudder thinking of that day. Three days ago, he had somehow gotten her alone in the garden and tried to kiss her. She had pushed him and ran away. She has been avoiding him ever since.

'Grandpa, you should be resting!' Emma said as she saw her grandfather sitting in the drawing-room, looking tired.

'Sir Morval came, I can't let him wait alone.'

Grandfather has been ill for a long time. All he wanted was to see her get married and settled. Emma suddenly felt guilty.

'You can't keep avoiding him, Emma.'

'I am not avoiding him, I was only...' She realised she was out of excuses.

'If you don't want to marry him, you don't have to,' said grandfather.

She couldn't travel to London for a Season as they cannot afford it. Sir Morval is a Baron and he was quite honestly the best match she can get in Gloucester.

But, Emma did not want to marry him. She was not deluded in thinking a love match was coming her way, but she just didn't like him. She didn't like it when he touched her inappropriately. She didn't like his forceful advances. She shuddered; she could never marry him.

The doorbell rang. No one would call on them except for Sir Morval at this time. Emma resolved to reject him and put an end to this, but the truth was she was scared. It was hard to admit to herself, but he scared her. With some trepidation, she opened the door.

Emma was relieved that it was not Sir Morval. There stood a stranger. A handsome, middle-aged gentleman.

'I am looking for Mr. Zennor.'

'May I have your calling card, sir?'

'Tell him his old student Advent has come.'

Emma nodded and left him to wait in the verandah, to find her grandfather.

Zennors didn't have any servants. They had to let go of the butler and the maids. All they had now was a cook because she refused to leave them helpless. She came every morning to help Emma.

Her grandfather was still sitting in the drawing room, looking extremely tired.

'Who is it?' he asked weakly.

'Someone called Mr. Advent. Are you well enough to meet him? Shall I ask him to call on you tomorrow?'

'What! Lord Advent is here? Where is he?' exclaimed Mr. Zennor.

'He is waiting outside.'

'You left him waiting outside!!' he scolded Emma. Raising, he almost ran to the door.

'Grandpa, be careful!' Emma shouted and rushed after him.

'Your Grace,' Mr. Zennor bowed. He gestured with his eye to Emma, she curtsied.

Holding Mr. Zennor, Lord Advent said, 'A Captain shouldn't bow to his Lieutenant.'

'Please come in,' grandfather invited.

Emma helped her grandfather to a chair. Lord Advent didn't take a seat and waited for her to sit. A perfect gentleman. Shame she thought, as she was not a proper lady.

'My granddaughter Emma,' he introduced.

Lord Advent took her hand in his gloved hands and kissed lightly saying, 'Nice to meet you, Miss. Zennor.'

'He is Lord Advent, Duke of Watford.'

Lord Advent looked impeccable. He was dressed in a pale green waistcoat and knee breeches with artful embroidery. His blonde hair was fashioned with a matching ribbon.

Emma was painfully aware of her appearance; She wasn't even wearing gloves, the hem of her dress had dirt, and she was wearing a completely mismatched ribbon. She was sure her hair had some twigs.

'I will fetch tea,' saying she fled from the room.

She went straight to her room, dusted her dress and readjusted her hair. The only pair of gloves she owned had a hole and needed mending, so she gave up on it.

She prepared tea, thanking God that she had freshly baked biscuits from yesterday.

When she entered the drawing room ladened with tea tray, Lord Advent stood up again. She set the tea tray on the table. Lord Advent stood waiting for Emma to take a seat.

'How do you take your tea, Your Grace?'

'No sugar and just a dash of milk.'

She handed him the tea and placed the biscuits. Her grandfather and Lord Advent talked about the royal navy and politics, both of which held little interest to her.

Lord Advent was a handsome man; he had to be well built or properly padded. He had the most beautiful face; an uncommon thing to say about a man, but he was rather beautiful with blond hair and blueish-grey eyes. The corners of his eyes had wrinkles as though he smiled frequently.

With some difficulty, she tore her eyes from Lord Advent and tried to concentrate on what the men were talking about.

'You must stay for supper,' insisted Mr. Zennor.

Lord Advent protested, but grandfather would not take no for an answer. Emma excused herself for if Lord Advent was going to stay for dinner, she better start preparing. Hiding from Morval had it's benefits. She went to the market the other day, so they had two types of meat and fresh vegetables.

Lord Advent helped her set up the table.

'No, Your Grace, I can do it.' She tried to protest but he waved her off and set the plates.

Mr. Zennor had fallen asleep on the couch. Emma shook him gently, 'Grandpa, dinner is ready.'

'This is delicious,' complimented Lord Advent. They all had dinner and Lord Advent shared helped clean up before leaving.