Chapter 29

Tessa White had spent most of her life pleasing others. Be it her mother, her friends or any of her previous boyfriends. So finding her best friend glaring at her all day in school was not the best thing to happen to her. 

Elena Gilbert had been her first best friend. They had met when they were little and had connected almost immediately. They had just been so similar. They were both kind. They were both compassionate. They were both outgoing. 

But they had also been unbelievably different. While Elena had siblings, Tessa was an only child. While Elena had a family that loved her, that cared, Tessa had to grow up way too young, protecting herself from her mother. While Elena volunteered at hospitals and attended charity events for the Gilbert name, Tessa did them to help. While Elena craved every bit of attention she got, Tessa never felt like she deserved it.

But Tessa still loved her best friend with every bit of her heart. And that is why, after multiple phone calls, countless texts and stalking her for three days, the doppelganger finally agreed to meet her. In the Salvatore Boarding House. 

"I'm sorry," Elena sighed, tears filled her eyes making Tessa's heart break. "I-. I just. Stefan he broke up with and I just love him so much."

Tessa bit the inside of her cheek. She was a horrible friend. She had just done something that would make her best friend hate her. She was dating her ex boyfriend, the boy that she had started to fall in love with and the men that tried to kill her. And also Aaron, but he had never done anything terrible to her. 

"Elena I-."

"And I just felt to heartbroken."

Tessa shut her eyes, trying to stop the tears. "I'm sorry," she whispered but Elena didn't listen.

"I love him Tessa. And Damon. They are my soulmates. We are meant to be together. History doesn't just repeat itself like that. And he was angry but I know that he loves me too. And no offence but definitely more than you."

Tessa frowned. Was it true? Did they love Elena more than her? Of course they did. But did they tell her everything for nothing? Did they not mean it when they told her that they cared? Was she just a replacement. 

Replacement. That's what she always was. A replacement of Elena in the third grade dance. Or the play in freshman year. Or even when it came to Matt. Tessa had been in love with Matt ever since he had kissed her in sixth grade during spin the bottle. He was her first kiss. And Elena knew that. She had never even had any romantic feelings for him before she found out about Tessa's crush. She had gone to talk to him about it. Trying to set Tessa up with him. But then Tessa's heart broke when she saw them kissing. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I really like him Tes. I knew you liked him too and I did try to talk to him. But he really likes me. And I like him. Please. She had said. And Tessa had just smiled at her and told her that she was happy for them. 

Why couldn't Elena do that for her?

"Look, Damon is angry at me. He tried to kiss me, but I didn't kiss him back. This is just his way of getting back at me. And Stefan, he's just confused. After everything that has happened, this is his way of lashing out. He's being impulsive. He doesn't really like you. Klaus is using you, Tessa. It's his way of getting revenge on me."

"Oh. I-."

"And Elijah loves Katherine and me. Trust me. I remember the way he looked at me, he loves her. And me because of how we look. And that's probably why he's after you, because you look a lot like us you know? Brown hair, brown eyes, skinny." She continued. "And I know that you and Aaron dated before you left as well. But do you really think it's a good idea to start a relationship with the father of your kid? That will just complicate it. And I-. I don't know how to say this, but he kissed me when you were gone."

"What?" She whispered. Her heart stopped. No-. No. Aaron wouldn't do that.

"Y-yeah," Elena looked down, ashamed. "I was upset and I was crying and he tried to comfort me. And one thing led to the other and he kissed me. I pushed him away, I swear."

Aaron kissed Elena. Aaron kissed Elena. Her Aaron kissed someone else when she being tortured trying to protect him. 

"Look, I know I probably sound harsh. But I love you, Tessa. You are my best friend. And I'm trying to protect you. I know you really care about them, but they don't care about you. They are just using you and they will hurt you. And I love Stefan and Damon. Please don't do this to me."

"So what should I do?"

"Break up with them," Elena said, quickly. "Just tell them that you don't like them."

"A-are you sure? I mean, what if you're wrong?"

"I am not wrong Tessa." Elena shouted making her flinch. "I am trying to protect you."

Tessa nodded. "Okay yeah."

"Also, can I live here for sometime?" Elena casually asked, pouting slightly.

"Why? What happened to your house?"

"Jeremy is angry at me after he heard me ask Damon to compel him out of Mystic Falls. I was just trying to protect him," she sighed, a tear fell out of her eye. "Why does no one see that I'm trying to protect them? I love Damon, but I didn't kiss him to protect his and Stefan's bond. I love Stefan, but I let him go to protect him. And I'm trying to protect you as well."

Tessa rushed to her best friend, wrapping her arms around her neck and pulling her to her. "I know Lena. It's okay. You can stay here for as long as you like. I'll talk to Stefan and Damon, they won't mind. They love you."

The last part left a bitter taste in her mouth. But it was the truth. 

Stefan and Damon loved her. Elijah loved her. Aaron loved her. Klaus did this to go against her

Tessa was just the replacement. The last choice. 

No one will love you. Her mother was right. 

A/N - Yes, I give you all permission to murder Elena. She's making our poor baby Tessie doubt herself. But fear not, I shall fix the mess the self obsessed bitch has made. After a lot of complications obviously. xoxo.