Wattpad Original

Chapter 59

The eastern sky was only just starting to lighten as I returned. Movement in the back of the truck made me pause, then do a double-take when I saw Nicky already sitting there. At ground level. I wasn't even wearing my sunglasses yet, so it was much too dark for either her or Daniel to see any incoming zombies.

The fire was in the middle of the roof, and I couldn't see it from this angle, nor could I see Daniel. That also meant he wasn't able to see her, even if there had been enough light, although he was probably listening for a feral's footsteps or growls, which was a strong possibility. My eyes narrowed further as the sharp smell of felts drifted on the breeze. I silently walked up behind her.

"What are you doing down here?" There was no mistaking the irritation in my voice.

Nicky jumped and turned around to see my glowing eyes. "Nina was complaining, and Daniel threatened to lock me in the truck if I didn't stop singing. Since I didn't feel like being tossed off the roof, I decided to come down here. Daniel is keeping an ear on me, but even I'd be able to hear a regular zombie approaching with all the gravel in this parking lot. The ladder is right there, so I'd have an easy getaway."

"And if a Nightstalker had been around?" I asked with an edge to my voice.

"I'm sure we would have heard the screaming match by now. Despite your ability to move silently, you Nightstalkers never seem to meet one of your own kind with anything that resembles silence. You turn into owls, cougars, and heaven only knows what I can compare that screaming catfight to."

I growled faintly as my eyes glowed brighter. The lack of sleep was having an unfortunate effect on my cranky nighttime instincts. The felt fumes weren't helping, but at least she wasn't coloring my clothing.

"Want me to go back on the roof?" Nicky offered uncertainly.

Reining in my temper, I exhaled gustily. "You don't have to. There aren't any zombies nearby. Just don't go far from that ladder because there are a few up the road."

"In that case, I'll stay down here for now," Nicky said, regaining some of her usual spirit. "Besides, I have my trusty bottle of soap and a couple cans of tomato juice right here."

I huffed at her cavalier mood. "I'll be in the area. Give me a holler when you start to pack up."

I slipped silently into the shadows once again.

~

       The smell of burning food scraps and paper plates woke me up. Considering I had originally headed upwind, the breeze must have shifted. I brushed the bits of leaves and spiderwebs off my hoodie and gave up on my attempt to nap. I had gotten more sleep than I had anticipated.

Actually, I'm very surprised they haven't started packing up yet. Nina made it sound like we were leaving fairly early. I began walking back as I mulled over our unusually late departure. The only explanation I could come up with was that someone had decided I needed more sleep than what our schedule had originally planned.

As I emerged from the forest, I could see everyone was on the roof and packing up the tents.

Nicky spotted me as I got closer. "Oh, good. You're back. Catch!"

She lobbed a rolled-up sleeping bag off the roof. I stopped and watched it crash into the dirt on the other side of the truck. Nicky blinked owlishly at it.

"Maybe I need more practice." Nicky scratched her head. "Where'd that other sleeping bag go?"

Daniel snagged Nina's sleeping bag before Nicky got her hands on it. His toss was spot on: if I didn't catch it or step to the side, it would have hit my chest. Logan quietly passed his to Daniel as well.