.048

After the brief weapons training, I leave the others behind and set out for a walk. It's the small thing that I'm able to do whilst still in the walls that makes me feel a little more relaxed. I pluck a long frond of grass from the ground and twirl it between my fingers, letting the soft texture tickle my skin.

    The day is warm and fresh, but the chilly breeze bites at any exposed skin, causing me to tug my flannel closer to my frame. As I walk along the asphalt road, I try my best to ignore the loud noises from outside. After a few minutes, I find it impossible, my brain always drifting back to the ruckus past the walls that my ears are magnetized to.

    I know Enid has to be out there. It's been almost a day and there still hasn't been a sighting of her. In a sense, I'm somewhat concerned. It could be quite some time before the walkers are either drawn away or leave by themselves.

    As I tried desperately to sleep last night, one of the many things preventing me were the thousands of possible scenarios I crafted in my head as to what could have happened to Daryl. None of them seemed to have good outcomes. There were millions more for Sasha, Abraham, and Glenn. I'll even admit that a few of them were about Enid, too.

    I walk a little further, trying to find a destination to make my walk more meaningful. I notice Rosita standing near the solar panels and head in her direction, my feet dragging through the grass as I get closer. "Hey," I say, watching her mill around the small area, a machete in her hand along with many more in a bucket on the ground. "Whatcha doing?"

    "Getting ready for the weapon training I'm running today." I nod. It seems like that has been everyone's plan today. "We're starting with machetes. I thought it'd be a pretty basic starter for the beginners. You agree?"

    "I'd say so," I reply, picking up one of the machetes and judging the weight in my hand. I've held them before, using them as more means to protect myself. It's weird because I'm almost a hundred percent sure that had the world not decided to end, I would've never had a reason to hold one of these, let alone actually use it, but here I am, trying to remember the motions of driving the long blade into a once human skull.

    "Actually, do you want to join in? Maybe you could help me teach." I shrug my shoulders, grinning.

    "I don't know about that. I doubt I'm skillful enough to be a teacher."

    "I am more than willing to argue that," Rosita says. "I'm sure you could teach me a few things."

    I let out a laugh. "Okay! Now you're exaggerating way too much! There's no way I'm going to teach you."

    "What I'm trying to say is that you know a lot more than you're letting on. At the very least, I think you should stay here and watch. I could always use some moral support." I smile, setting my machete back into the bucket.
    "Anything for you."

    "That's why I love you so much." Rosita looks down the road, her eyes wandering. "While you're here, I've been meaning to ask you a very pressing question." Rosita grins mischievously, placing her own machete back with the others.

    "And that is?" I ask, raising an eyebrow and matching her smile, despite not knowing what she's about to say.

    "What's going on between you and Carl?" I tilt my head to the side, realizing I probably should have seen that one coming. I want to drop my grin and wipe my face of emotion to make it seem like I don't care too much about it, but it feels impossible. With Rosita still smiling at me and waiting expectantly for an answer, I can't stop the blushing on my cheeks or what I'm feeling inside as I think of Carl.

    "It's nothing, really," I say, dropping to the ground, sitting in the soft bristles of green. Rosita moves closer, sitting across from me in the grass.