Opening Up

Y/N/N- your nickname

After about 20 minutes of processing what had happened in the closet, Mirabel barged in the room with a large basket in her hands. As she walked in she kicked the door closed behind her.

"Hey Y/N/N! Wait is it cool if I call you that? Sorry I didn't mean to, I just thought maybe- hey are you good? You are so red right now... "

"I'm fine, it's not- well it's- its nothing." I say, unconvincingly burying my head in my hands.

"Okay Y/N, spill."

I look up at her and motion her to sit next to me. She puts down her basket and slowly tip toes over and sits down on the bed. I anxiously check behind her, making sure no one followed her in. She looked at me suspiciously. I cupped my hands around her ear and explain everything. By the time I'm at the end of the story, her hands are covering her mouth and she's stifling a laugh.

"Okay 1st of all, that's hilarious. 2nd of all, I'm so sorry you had to endure that. 3rd of all, I'm going to pretend I didn't hear anything you just said because he is my cousin and I think that image is going to scar me for life." She places a hand on my shoulder, a little smile appearing on her face.

"He's totally head over heels for you." She says giggling.

"What!? I only met him like three days ago, there's no way!" I said defensively, Mirabel narrowed her eyes then looked away for a second.

"...did he actually say he liked me..?"

Mirabels head snapped over to me, staring me dead in the eye. A huge smile was plastered on her face, and she pointed straight at me.

"YOU LIKE CAMILO!?" She looked at me with an incredulous expression. I covered her mouth.

"I NEVER SAID THAT! I was just curious- you're the one who said he liked me... I was just seeing why you thought that. It's nothing, I just... I don't even know!" I give an exasperated sigh as my arms flail out.

"Oh Y/N/N. You've got it bad," she laid back on the bed, her hands laying lazily outstretched, "and for my cousin..." She stuck out her tongue in disgust.

"Mirabel!" I say, a shocked laugh leaving my lips.

We talk for what feels like hours. She promises me that she won't utter a soul to anyone, and I really do believe her. It's makes me want to tell her all my secrets, even the more important ones. Mirabel then goes on and on about a party. There was an annual fiesta coming up celebrating the day that Mirabel had saved the miracle. She told me the stories of her and her families adventures. I loved to hear her tell the stories, she added such a unique dramatic flair.

She joked with me too. She told me that she would make sure me and Camilo danced at the party if it was the last thing she did. I kinda hoped she'd live up to that promise. After awhile, I felt the urge to tell her why I was here. She never pushed me to tell her before, so I felt safe confiding in her.

"Mirabel, I want to tell you everything. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, yeah yeah!! Of course!" She grabbed a pillow and sat criss crossed on the edge of my bed, eager for me to begin.

"When I was 10 years old, me and my little brother were playing a few miles outside our village. He was a reckless kid, only 4 at the time. It was my responsibility to look out for him. I remember, we were just messing around. Then I turned and saw him on this big rock. He was yelling at me "Y/N look look! I climbed up here all by myself. Do you see, do you s-" He fell about 10 feet, right unto another rock. It was jagged."

Mirabel gasped and quickly covered her mouth, she nodded as to tell me to continue.

"When I went over to him, he was bleeding. I could barely carry him but I grabbed him as fast as I could and started running. We were about 3 miles out, I knew I wasn't going to get there in time. I couldn't stop the bleeding. I kept running, but I tripped. I had twisted my ankle, absolutely everything that could've gone wrong did-

I tried to drag him but my foot was no use. I held him as I cried. And that's when I saw it. This golden light surrounding us. It was blinding, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It swirled around us in patterns. I noticed then, that my necklace was glowing..." I pulled a necklace out from it's tucked in spot under my blouse, then recovered it.

"The golden light wrapped around his wound, it had stopped the bleeding. I felt my ankle adjust, and as I stood to hold him once again, I felt the power gushing through me. I ran much faster this time. Every step I took engraved a golden footprint in the earth. When I got home my parents were scared. They didn't know what was happening to me. For a long time, I helped our town with my gift. The ability to sense and use strong emotions, which then I could create into a physical form- a different a streak of color and magical property depending on the emotion...

But people began to envy my gift. Word got out, and my family went into hiding. But those people, who wanted my gift-

they burned everything, my parents stalled so me and my siblings could run but my sisters were taken in the fire. My parents couldn't hold them off. And my little brother- they took him from me too. I should've burned with them that day. But they wanted me to understand what was happening to me, and that's why I'm here."

I slowly looked up to find a crying Mirabel. She pulled me in for a tight hug.

"You're safe here Y/N." I hugged her back. And I believed her. She was right, at last. I was safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! Sorry for the angsty chapter but I wanted to explain the power stuff so we could get the tramua out of the way 😭. It's going to get a lot more fun now that the character has opened up! Thank you for reading this tedious chapter and I'll try to come up with something really fun for the next one! Might time skip a couple of days idk.