Chapter One

You probably think that smuggling explosives is dangerous, don't you? Well, it is. And you might just think that it's fun or exhilarating. And it is. But that's not why I did it. My reasons have a lot more fruit than that.

I stole them to a) spite Micheal Bradly the manufacturer. He deserved it after he called me scum the other day. And to b) use against Professor Hoolay. That's right, folks, I'm gonna bomb my teacher.

Of course, it's not like I intend to hurt anyone. In fact, I'll most likely not use them today unless I have to. I just plan to damage some loved property like his stupid little meditation corner or his ugly orange hovercar. I'm bringing them in my backpack today, just in case they're needed. I'm like 70% sure that they won't explode while I'm--

"Sage Jada Cordell, come here right this instant!"

I continued writing despite the voice of my foster father, Steve, echoing through the house. I didn't do anything wrong, so why should I be punished?

"Don't make me bring your filthy dog into this!"

Crack!

I chucked my broken pencil at the wall and snapped the notebook closed with enough force to move a mountain. "Fine, I'm coming!" I yelled, hopping off my mattress. "There's no need to bring Ugine into this!" I marched out into the hall and to the stairs, stopping at the top. From here I was able to look down at my guardian, which was a rare luxury since I'm ridiculously short for my age. "What do you want?"

"Don't you dare talk to me like that, Young Missy." he said, shaking a finger at me. "Especially not when you came home late from school for the third time in a row! Care to explain yourself?"

I huffed, "I already told you I had to tutor someone!"

"That's really interesting." he said, his face turning a vibrant shade of red, "Because I called the school today and they told me that you didn't have good enough grades to tutor a preschooler, let alone anyone in your grade! You had detention, didn't you?!"

I clenched the hand rail on the stairs, my knuckles turning white, "Alright, fine. Say I did have detention. But it wasn't my fault! Sandy Marcus was being an idiot and someone had to set it right!"

"That's no excuse!" he exploded, "You are sixteen years old and it's about time you started acting like it. Your school didn't have a detention program until you joined! They created one just for you! I cannot put up with this behavior, Young Lady! One more mess up and you'll have to go back to the foster center to find another set of parents, do you understand?!"

"Well good riddance to all of you!" I screamed, turning on my heel and storming back to my room, slamming the door behind me. I huffed angrily and sat on my bed. "At least I know someone cares," I said to my rottweiler Ugine, who was sitting on my bed. "You won't send me back will you?"

Ugine cocked his head to the side and looked up at me with his big brown eyes.

"Thanks Bud." I said, scratching him behind the ears. "Now I gotta hurry and get ready for school so I can leave this butthole of a place as soon as I can."

"....and without doubt we believe, That we'll live forever without grief, If we swear loyalty to the land of Braneve!"

Everyone sang the National Song with vigor and happiness as always. There was an applause that always broke out, then everyone sat down, and began to listen to their teacher. But the teacher didn't begin talking in a dreamy voice as usual. Instead, he spoke with a strong female voice that didn't match his own at all; the voice of our leader, Cathleen Morsie.

"Students!" he said, "There is a rebel among you! Someone who doesn't follow me! Retrieve that person and bring her to me!"

In perfect unison, everyone turned to face the black-haired girl sitting in the very back and the only one who looked bored. Yep, that's me. Then, with inhuman agility, they all lunged for me. I tried to fight, but millions of hands were grabbing at me, and soon I was buried in the crowd. I could still hear a voice calling my name.

"Miss Cordell! Miss Cordell!! Sage!"

I woke up, the dream fading, but the voice lingering. I blinked, opened my eyes, and saw two dozen kids and my lanky old teacher all staring at me. "Miss, Cordell...." The teacher said, tapping his piece of chalk on his hand, "Tired are we? Would you like to go home and sleep instead of getting educated then?"

"I actually would, thank you." I yawned, standing up and heading for the door.

"Stay here!" my teacher barked, so I grudgingly turned around, "School is for learning, not sleeping. How about you catch up on your missed work in detention?"

I suppressed a groan and stomped back to my seat. Steve is not gonna like this. This is the third detention I've gotten this week. And it's only Tuesday. I should probably stop falling asleep in class....

Ring! At the sound of the bell everyone hopped out of their seats and ran for the door. I almost made it out, when Professor Hoolay called my name. "Sage Cordell!"

I muttered something naughty under my breath then walked up to my teacher. "Yes?"

"Detention starts right now in Mr. Darkling's room. You will stay the whole time, got it?"

I forced a smile, "Right." I said, then ran out of the room before he could say anything else. I huffed, and knowing that Professor Hoolay was watching me, I began walking to Mr. Darkling's classroom.

"Ah, Miss Cordell." Mr. Darkling hissed when I walked in, "I was expecting you."

I looked around the classroom and realized that no one else was here. Not that it was unusual, I was always the only one in detention. I walked over to the furthest desk from Mr. Darkling, and flopped down.

"Today for detention," Mr. Darkling said, "You will be writing lines."

I was used to writing lines. I did it almost every day. I accepted the paper and pen that Mr. Darkling gave me, and I began to write. I will pay attention to my teacher when he is speaking. Over and over.