Chapter 13: Time and Stuff

"Do we really have to buy a whole new outfit?" Sylvia groaned loudly as the group headed over to the markets. The sun was just starting to rise, and despite vocal protests Dirella insisted they get to the square early.

"What, you plan to wear that to the ball?" Dirella scoffed, eyeing Sylvia's armour with a tinge of judgement. Sylvia scowled.

"A fox mask though?" She pouted. She had never been one for frilly dresses and fancy attire, feeling more comfortable in slacks and chainmail. However, when news spread throughout New Nortia about the upcoming ball, Sylvia knew it may be time to expose an ankle or two.

It had appeared Dirella's scheme had worked, through implanting dreams into the King's head he had decided to throw a masquerade ball.

"Come on Sylvia, I bet you'd look lovely in a frock," Darian chuckled, causing Sylvia to glare daggers at him. Aliyah appeared besides Sylvia's side, gently touching her elbow with their smooth palm.

"It could be fun, I do like to dance," Aliyah offered, trying to diffuse the situation. Sylvia lightened at this, imagining herself and Aliyah dancing away into the night.

"It will be fun, but we still have a mission," Dirella added, diffusing any excitement Sylvia was feeling towards the situation. Now, she just felt dread. She avoided crowds for a reason.

The group soon came to the market square, where the path opened up to a large circle. Shops lined either side, with small carts dotted about the middle. Here, you could buy anything from fruit to frocks, sandals to sand, even magical items and armour.

"There, you two head that way," Dirella interjected, pointing towards the tailors, "Sylvia and I are going to spend some girl time!" Dirella seemed genuinely excited to go clothes shopping with Sylvia, but Sylvia felt her gut drop. Her and Dirella had rarely spent any time alone together, and she was still unsure on how to perceive the mage.

"Sounds great! Come on Aliyah. Oh and buh-bye my lovely girlfriend!" Darian took Aliyah by the hand, and eagerly trotted off. Sylvia could only wonder what kind of attire Darian would chose, and if Aliyah would even understand how to work a zip.

Her amusement was cut short by Dirella grabbing her own hand, and pulling her down an alleyway lined with dress makers. It appeared to stretch on forever, an assault on the senses. Frills, tuile, corsets in all shapes and sizes. Sylvia's eyes were swimming in a baby pink wonderland, the explosion of colours and life making her slightly nauseous.

Dirella eagerly led on, stopping by every window to gaze lovingly inside. Sylvia didn't understand why Dirella needed a new dress. She was currently wearing her beautiful purple gown, that seemed to float as she walked. It made her look graceful, magnificent. What more could a girl want?

While Dirella fussed over the fabrics and materials in each window along the way, Sylvia found herself being drawn away. She gazed down a small off shoot of walkway, shrouded in darkness. She was being called down this walkway, and she knew not why.

Slowly making her way towards it, Sylvia's eyes adjusted. The walkway was decrepit, unkempt. Weeds jutted out between the bricks, and moss was crawling along the walls. It smelt dank and damp, moist from years of being unloved. To her left, Sylvia spotted a rusty steel door. It looked like someone had tried to shut it, however the weathered piece of material was bent slightly back.

Through the small gap, Sylvia peered through. She gasped audibly at what she saw.

Sylvia saw trees, as tall as a house, jutting upwards in the landscape. So thick you couldn't see through to the other side. Sylvia could smell wet grass and flowers, the scent dancing through the air.