An Ever-shifting Future

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

I walk alongside Ser Jorah through the keep, feeling rather odd walking alongside a Mormont again. But it's good. It feels good to have one by my side again.

"Do you remember your aunt, Maege?"

"Of course. She was always a bit of a troubled woman who drank too much for her own good. But she was a good woman nonetheless."

"The greatest."

I say with a small smile.

"If it weren't for her, I would've done things during the War that would make Joffrey's monstrosities look like kitten play."

I say a bit sadly, shuttering lightly at the thought of all the things that swirled around in my head during those days.

"But it wasn't just her that kept you level, was it?"

He asks, probably already knowing the answer as I smile with a nod. We turn the corner and approach the library of which I stole plenty of books from. At one of the desks, there is a man, rather large in body, huddled behind it, face so far in a book he could probably taste the page number.

Me and Ser Jorah stand a bit awkwardly until I clear my throat, catching his attention.

"Oh!"

He sets the book down in a startled manner as he stands to greet us.

"So you are the man?"

I ask and he just looks confused.

"Um... Which man would I be, my La- my Queen?"

He stutters a little which makes me smile lightly.

"You are the man that saved Ser Jorah's life, are you not? When no one else could, you did."

"Well, the Maesters could it's just that they wouldn't."

Ser Jorah says and I turn to him, raising a brow.

"If that's the case, then it appears Dany and I will have to make some changes to the Citadel when we come to the Iron Throne. A great service has to be rewarded in some way."

"Oh, it's my honor to serve you, Your Grace."

"They call you Sam, right?"

He nods.

"Well, Sam, there has to be something that you want?"

"If..it's not too much trouble, I could use a pardon."

I chuckle a little at that.

"And what crime did you commit?"

"Well..I borrowed some books from the Citadel."

"And I 'borrowed' books from this very library we're in yet no one is prosecuting me after all these years."

I joke and he smiles a little.