twenty one |

The ride was painfully silent as he steered us back to the mothership.

Vree cleared his throat, breaking some of the tension, "I. . ." He began to speak, but trailed off, then shifted in his seat awkwardly, quickly beginning a new sentence, "Yesterday's festivities, although we missed most of it. . was the first banquet."

I could tell he was trying to distract me from what had just happened. He continued, "A huge feast, followed by dancing and music. Tonight is. . . more performative. We have the fireworks, and there will be shows, plays, games. We have prepared different foods from different regions. I will let you decide once we get back what you would like to do."

I glanced at him, he looked completely straight-faced which frustrated me. What I'd like to do? Sir I would like to do you! I wanted to scream internally. My entire body was aching for him and he was talking about festival games. I looked out into the stars, my overthinking overriding me once more. Does he actually not want to continue? Or he's saying he's letting me decide. . so maybe that means. . . I glanced at him. It also wouldn't hurt you to just ask him, Naomi. You could always ask him, "So hey, do you want to continue what we were doing in that lil spaceship of yours cause I think that'd be much more fun than some silly little carnival game." I cursed at myself, my brows furrowing, But what if he gets upset and wants me to experience his culture? What if the festival is more important? That's why he's talking about it?

As much as I wanted to skip the festivities and continue what we started, I knew how much pride Vree took in his people, his culture, and how he always became passionate about teaching me his ways and having me experience it. It's something that I've always found endearing, but part of me did not want him to be so endearing right now.

I mentally swore at myself, I was matched up with a hot alien space pirate with a brain and capacity to think, yet here I was thinking about sex.

Am I shallow? Are humans shallow? Should I be getting a hard on for education and culture right now too? Throw myself into his arms and say "Yes Vree I would love to try your people's version of macaroni salad tonight." I would not be surprised if the Frivrok people see us as destructive and impulsive. They have whole ceremonies and levels to dating or romantic relationships that seem a lot more intricate than our hookup and settle culture, and I'm over here trying to jump this man's bones without even taking him out first! Imagine trying to get on a deeper level with someone and all they want is sex! On Earth Id be the type of person I would avoid. But then again they did essentially abduct all of us to be baby making machines so am I really the degenerate species in this case?

I stopped myself from thinking myself into anymore loops. Okay Naomi. It's fine. Vree assured you that he would stick around, whatever that meant. So you have your whole lifetime to try to get in his pants and be a good representative for the inexcusable motives of Earthlings. Or less than two months. And hopefully he won't be giving you as many mixed signals then.

The mothership came in closer and closer as we began pulling up to the ship docks, different from where we came. A compartment at the base of the right wing on the mothership opened, looking a lot like the cargo port we first came in.

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion, as if noticing the question in the air he said, "The ship will be docked here. . . there are different levels within the mothership as you know, different docks or ports. The one we arrived in was prepared for the firework show, but since the ship will be out of commission for anything else we are docking it here. . . this is where I work repairs a third of the time."

We entered the gray slated cargo port, passing through what seemed like a forcefield at the opening of the mothership, giving us a bit of a jolt as we went through it. The inside looked a lot more massive than what I was led to believe from the outside.