2.11

[2.11]

Jinora

"I have never hated meditation so much."

Rae was sitting with her head on a rock, annoyance getting to her the most. The group had been sitting by a small fire for at least a few hours, enough time for the sun to set and the moon to shine bright at them. Theoretically, it would have been enough time to enter the spirit world too, but Tenzin just didn't make it work.

"No, just give me some time!"

The Guardian rolled her eyes and sat up from her spot. She glared at Tenzin through the small gaps that the bodies of Kya, Korra, Bumi and Jinora left.

"Maybe we should try tomorrow," she said, getting up and patting the dirt away from her clothes, "this clearly isn't working."

Tenzin's siblings nodded. "I think Jinora was meant to guide the Avatar," stated Kya after agreeing with Rae. They were all pretty tired after having spent the entire day trying to enter the spirit world.

The master airbender, however had other plans. "Jinora will not enter the spirit world!" he said, "She's not ready for the dangers on the other side, but I am. I've spent years training, studying, and mastering everything there is to know about the spirit world."

Rae groaned and facepalmed, making everyone turned to look at her. "Tenzin, you can't even enter the spirit world," she exclaimed, "You have to understand that theory is nothing without a successful practice. Let's just put the dangers aside and give Jinora a chance. Maybe then we'll be able to actually enter the spirit world!"

Her emphasis on the word 'enter' made Tenzin angrier than before. But, before he could lash out at the Guardian, Jinora advanced towards her father.

"Aunt Kya and Rae are right," she said, making Tenzin's eyes widen, "I can guide Korra and Rae into the spirit world. I'll be all right."

Everyone looked at Tenzin, awaiting his decision. They were all looking at him with quite sad eyes apart from Rae, whose tired state made her irritating and annoyed. Still, she tried her best to contain her body from shutting down, for the other's well-being.

"Perhaps I will never have a connection with the spirits like I always wanted," finally said Tenzin with a sigh, "like my father wanted me to have." Jinora hugged him, making Rae's let out a sad sigh. "I'm proud of you," he said to the girl before turning to Rae and Korra, "Go. Close the portal. We'll wait here and keep your bodies safe till you return."

Both women nodded. They all moved quickly. Rae walked next to Jinora and sat down so the three girls were forming a triangle. She pressed her palms together, the fingers of her right facing upwards and the ones from her left hand facing towards the ground and closed her eyes.

Suddenly, she felt a surge of energy in her body. All sounds that the nature around her emitted stopped. She only heard the water flow; she felt the small trembles in the ground beneath her body. She heard the fire behind them crackle and left the blood pulsing in the veins of the people around her.

Her eyes opened. For the three siblings that were watching, they only saw the warm yellow light that her eyes emitted when she entered the Guardian state. However, Rae wasn't with them anymore. When she opened her eyes, she saw plants everywhere. Big and green plants that rose in the skies, and the ground was covered in a multitude of flowers that she couldn't even name.

Rae got to her feet. She felt Korra behind her, and the Avatar spoke calmly, yet Rae could feel the awe in her voice.

"The spirit world."

After a full day of struggles, they were indeed in the spirit world.

~

The three siblings stood around the fire. The silence they fell into was quite awkward. After all, Tenzin started blaming himself for allowing Jinora in the spirit world, and Bumi wasn't the best person to try and made him feel better. At least Kya was there, for she managed to calm him down.

Bumi was sparring glances at the three meditating bodies every minute or so, making Kya follow his gaze. When her eyes fell on Rae, a sad smile invaded her features.

"She looks like him," she whispered, tearing her gaze away.

Tenzin raised his head and looked at his two siblings confused. "Who looks like who?"

It was Kya that answered, but Bumi. "Rae... she looks like him..."

The Waterbending woman nodded, "She has his eyes."

Tenzin stood in silence for a moment before his eyes fell on Rae. Her body was stiff, her eyes still glowing the warm yellow hue. "Hiiro would have been proud," he finally said, turning to look at Bumi.

The man scoffed. "He was already proud," he said, shaking his head, "his daughter was Guardian after all, and best friend to the crowed prince of the Fire Nation, even more though as kids they never realized."

Kya shook her head and looked at Bumi. "Hiiro didn't want his daughter to be Guardian," she said coldly, "even less if he knew what would happen after."

"The Red Lotus incident won't happen again," interfered Tenzin with a strong voice. Still, his words held a certain stinging effect on his siblings, "they are all locked away and Ming-Hua has no way of escaping again."

Bumi remained silent and when his sister wanted to talk, he shook his head, making her fall into a state of complete silence. It was Tenzin that broke it, his voice holding a small tremor.

"At least I hope she can't get to Rae."