XXXVII

With his erratic heart leaping out of his chest with every step he makes, it feels as if his legs are about to give out the more he gets closer to your shop. With the crowd forming around the building along with the flashing lights coming from the police cars and ambulance, it almost feels like a nightmare when it feels like he can't get through the barrier of people.

Thankfully, with a number of harsh shoves, he's able to get to the front of the crowd that's being held out by policemen.

Breathless, Wakasa tries his best to catch the policemen's attention. "Excuse me! Sir! What happened here-"

"Sir, if you can just please stay there, this is a crime scene, civilians are not allowed-"

Shaking his head, it feels like his body temperature has both dropped and risen from the stress he's going through. He didn't expect to receive a call from you in the middle of the night. And he didn't expect the said call to be about some break in happening in the shop.

So now, it feels like he's just been thrown into a whirlwind of problems as he sees two kids, Keisuke and Kazutora, both being escorted by the police, along with some medics hauling in his friend, Shinichiro, in a stretcher. And lastly, the sight that makes his stomach churn and drop. He sees you being carried by the medics in a stretcher as well, skin tainted red from the blood that he hopes isn't from you.

The sight of the two kids makes Wakasa's body freeze when he sees Kazutora's bloody hands. It almost makes bile rise up when he realizes what might have happened in there for things to end up like this. It's almost unbelievable until he hears a voice from the nearby police's radio about finding the chain cutter which must have been the weapon used.

His hands unconsciously form a fist when the two kids walk past him in order to get to the police car, his eyes glaring right onto the two kids only for his sight to be trained somewhere else when he notices Keisuke mouthing something to someone into the crowd. Craning his neck, it almost feels like his chest is about to explode when he sees Manjiro standing still in front of the crowd, dark eyes trained at the sight in front of him. Not a single emotion on his face.

It makes Wakasa immediately run to the kid, afraid of what the kid's already seen due to you and Shinichiro being escorted right in front of them.

Pulling Manjiro into him, Wakasa immediately makes him turn away from the scene, hands cupping the child's cheeks in order to force him to look up. "Mikey! How did you get here?!" Kneeling down in front of Manjiro, Wakasa wraps him up in his arms and forces the kid's face onto his shoulder as he carries Manjiro into his arms. "I'm going to take you back home-"

Manjiro immediately shakes his head in haste. "No! I want to go with them!... Don't take me home, I wanna see them... please Waka." That's when Wakasa feels the tears slowly drop onto his shoulder, his body completely freezing up as Manjiro starts to sob onto him. "I wanna... wanna make sure they're safe." Manjiro hiccups before Wakasa finally nods to himself, resolve crumbling at the mere sight of the aloof kid shattering in his arms.

"Excuse me, sir! Is there any way that we can go with the ambulance? I'm the victim's cousin and this kid here is their little brother." Wakasa speaks out to one of the attending officer's who's currently talking to one of the medics. Looking over at the two, the police officer asks for some ID before finally letting them get closer to the ambulance which is about to leave after the medics have strapped Shinichiro onto the machines while they test for your vitals seeing as you've slowly started gaining consciousness.

"Alright then. But we need someone who we can talk to regarding the crime scene. Do you think you can stand in for the victims while we wait for them to recover, Imaushi-san?"