fourteen | completed romance

-FOURTEEN-

Kate and Ophelia reached the back where Eleanor sat in the idling car, while a massive man stood before the door. Kate nocked an arrow and protectively called out, "Get away from my mom!"

"Oi! You! Weren't you taught as a baby not to peep into ladies' windows?" Ophelia growled, summoning her staff.

"What are you gonna do with that?" Asked Kingpin, looking at the staff-wielding huntress.

Ophelia shrugged, "Oh, I dunno. Maybe shove it up that little faux fur-clad butthole of yours. Maybe even break a bone or two of yours."

Kate shot an arrow at him, but instead of crumpling like other people, he simply continued his slow walk towards her.

He began walking towards her, but Eleanor crashed the car into him, sending his huge person crashing into the window of the nearby toyshop. Kate ran forward and asked, "Where you runnin' off to, big guy?"

"You’re in over your head!" Exclaimed the man, throwing Kate around like a rag doll into the display behind. 

Ophelia felt her eyes flash silver, and her fingertips quiver with anger as Kate struggled to get up. "Seriously, everyone seems to have chosen death today." She scoffed and lunged at him before he could do anything.

The huntress leapt on his back and pressed her staff against his throat while keeping a tight grip on him. He slammed into a wall, knocking the wind out of her, but she didn't fold or crumple in any way.

She leapt off his back gracefully, landing on her feet in front of him. Her long fangs glistened hungrily as she bared them, her legs tensing to pounce.

Kate coughed in the rubble behind, barely making Ophelia avert her hungered gaze from Kingpin.

She spun her staff in her hand, letting it land as a dagger. She hesitated momentarily to stab him, but decided to go ahead anyway after seeing Kate sit up, holding her head.

"You're really starting to annoy me." Growled the man, grabbing Ophelia by the collar and throwing her across the room.

"Aww, did mummy never tell you to not hit girls, Kingpin?" Mocked Ophelia as she landed on her feet yet again. "Or did she feel so repulsed by your behaviour that she gave up on teaching you anything?"

Kingpin snarled in anger and threw a chair at her. She activated her sword, letting it charge up within seconds. The blade glowed a bright silver and cut through the chair cleanly, like a laser beam.

"Really, you could do better than that. I've not gotten a single scratch, you babbling, bumbling baboon!" She continued to taunt him, causing his attacks to falter.

She looked at Kate and kicked an arrow towards the latter. Kate activated it, sending arcs of electricity through the broken arrows scattered around like dominoes. They charged up, and Ophelia grabbed Kate by the shoulders, pulling the latter out before the whole toyshop seemed to go supernova.

Ophelia let go of Kate's shoulders awkwardly, and stepped away, clearing her throat, "Well, I believe my services aren't needed here anymore."

Kate chuckled lightly and replied, "Yeah, right. Come here you dork." She opened her arms for a hug, which Ophelia stepped into gratefully.

Her arms wrapped around the older woman's waist, as she squeezed her gently into a warm hug.

Ophelia felt her heart pool with warmth, filling each crevice and nook in her body, like how a flood finds its way into every last inch of one's house when it strikes.