Intermission | Chapter Summaries

A/N: Welcome back, everyone! The Birds and The Bees will be returning Tomorrow, January 6th, at 5:20PM EST.

As requested, I've written a brief stylistic recap, followed by a list of all current and future chapter summaries for those who haven't stopped by in a while. However, I still strongly suggest a reread if you have the time. Comments asking "what's happening" lowkey hurt my feelings. This upcoming chapter is a big point in the story and I hope it was worth the wait. It's about 12,000 words, so almost double a normal chapter.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding. As always, I will be following along with your comments and answering questions with terrifyingly vague answers or bad puns. I love you all, and I can't wait to finish this story with you.

——————————————————

Spencer Reid's life had been remarkably normal as of late.

It had been normal, but only to the extent that it had defied all odds. There hadn't been any surprises because everything had been a surprise. Ever since that odd day when a birdling tumbled into his office with bright plumage made up of quivering feathers, the odds seemed tipped in favor of whatever he'd least expected.

That was precisely why Spencer had tried to manage his expectations. He tried not to let his heart or mind wander for fear of what reality he might create. Because his mind, so often filled with unspeakable horrors, had taken on a new tenant. One whose hands healed mortal wounds and whose eyes made him question his own flippancy towards faith.

Bunny had been happy with him, too. Happier than he'd thought possible for someone so close to him. She had remained humble and understanding, even when he had been anything but.

When he threw her from his office and ran into another's arms, she forgave him.

When he'd made a mistake and hurt someone in a belligerent excuse for honor, she forgave him.

When he'd made a mistake and hurt her, she had done more than forgive him.

Bunny had made him feel loved for the first time, and had since made it her mission to make sure he never forgot it. Her power was so all encompassing that even bullets didn't seem to shatter the reality he'd somehow stumbled into. Each night, he fell asleep with her heart beating steadily against his palm. Each morning he woke to find her still peacefully asleep in his arms.

Things had been going right for so long that he'd almost forgotten what it was like for them to go wrong. When he had invited her to the house of Lila Archer, he had, for the first time in a long time, foolishly allowed himself to believe that everything would be alright.

It wasn't until he'd reached her doorstep that he'd realized the errors of his ways.

Spencer Reid's life had been remarkably normal as of late. So, it was only natural that it had all come crashing down.

——————————————————

Ch. 1 | The Hummingbird  |    Reader interviews for a position as Dr. Spencer Reid's Teaching Assistant, and Spencer learns something special about her.

Ch. 2 | Another Statistic  |    Spencer and Reader are forced to remember that the world is not only made up of the two of them.

Ch. 3 | Little Bunny | Reader earns her nickname, and Spencer sinks to a new level of sin.

Ch. 4 | Sunday Paper |   Reader has a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, which her Professor is hellbent on making a little bit better.

Ch. 5 | First Taste  |   Spencer wonders if her lips could really make him better somehow.

Ch. 6 | Tornado Warning | Derek tries to give Spencer advice, and Bunny and Spencer try to ride out the storm.

Ch. 7 | Unwelcome Visitors |   Bunny and Spencer visit the prison, and later she pays him a visit in his dreams. 

Ch. 8 | Professor's Pride  |   Spencer and Bunny have their first fight, and Candy's confrontation couldn't have come at a worse time.

Ch. 9 |  Required Context |   Spencer and Bunny discuss perceptions and... sleepovers.

Ch. 10 | The Sin  |   Spencer  accidentally calls Reader by a different name... in front of the  entire  class. When he begins avoiding her, she confronts him.

Ch. 11 | Hawking Radiation | Bunny gets paired with a familiar face at volunteering, and Spencer meets a colleague on a date.

Ch. 12 | Bitter Pill  | Spencer and Tara discuss regrets over drinks. Spencer and Bunny discuss them, too.

Ch. 13 | Lover's Lane |   Spencer and Bunny have a heart to heart (and a little bit more on Lover's Lane).

Ch. 14 | Counting Heartbeats  |   Spencer finds out Bunny has been tutoring Kyle. He tells each of them how he feels about it.

Ch. 15 | Chekhov's Gun  |   The pair head off to the conference.  

Ch. 16 | Prey Drive | Spencer and Bunny spend their first night in bed together, but one of them has some reservations.

Ch. 17 | Dandelion Honey | Spencer makes a very big decision for the couple's future.

Ch. 18 | Rear View | Bunny runs into Kyle and learns things about Spencer she isn't ready to handle.

Ch. 19 | Barefoot Boy | Spencer and Bunny have a discussion about socks (and a strange wedding invitation in his mailbox).

Ch. 20 | The Bloom | It's Christmas, and Bunny stays true to her promise that he won't be alone. The couple comes to a decision.

Ch. 21 | Library Stacks | Bunny meets two new people in Spencer's office just before they whisk him away.

Ch. 22 | Three Bruises | Spencer realizes the BAU is a lot harder when he has someone waiting at home.

Ch. 23 | Warning Shot | Spencer and Bunny visit the gun range.

Ch. 24 | High Roller | Spencer and Bunny take a trip to Vegas.

——————————————————

(SPOILERS AHEAD, CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

——————————————————

Ch. 25 | Different Dynamics | Lila and Bunny meet, and Bunny confronts Spencer.

Ch. 26 | Bouquet Toss | Lila's wedding has Spencer thinking a lot about his future.

Ch. 27 | March Hare | Ms. Fletcher is causing problems.

Ch. 28 | Final Favor | Spencer and Bunny take the next big step in their relationship. Someone from Spencer's recent past returns.

Ch. 29 | Nine Lives | The BAU, and Candy, comes to visit Spencer and Bunny.

Ch. 30 (Finale) | The Hare | Spencer finally learns what real love is.

Epilogue | The Garden |

See you all soon...