1 - Yasohachi Bridge

"Why did this have to happen to someone like her!?"

"Y/n," Tsumiki said, catching your attention. You stopped in your tracks, the two of you nearing the train station. The sky was growing darker by the minute, the sun setting behind you two, casting long shadows across the pavement.

You'd just finished the school day at Saitama Urami Junior High. Your bag was starting to feel heavy from all the textbooks in there; exams were coming up soon, so you had to study.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" You asked, embarrassed how you zoned out so suddenly.

"What's wrong? You seemed to lose concentration."

"Ah, it's nothing. Sorry, I'm just hearing things. Anyways, what were you saying?"

"So I threw my strawberry milk carton at his head, and it went everywhere. I didn't expect it to open, and I felt kind of bad, but serves him right for what he said. Then I made him promise he wouldn't fight before he leaves school."

"When is he leaving?"

"Around the same time as you, I think."

"What school is he going to move to?"

Before she could reply, you both heard footsteps approaching from behind. An arm went around your shoulder, the other around Tsumiki's as Fujinuma caught up to you both. She was a short girl with freckles and brown hair in a bob.

"Where'd you go?" You asked.

"I was tying my shoelaces!"

"Sorry, we would've waited for you if you asked," Tsumiki said.

"Why'd she have to get cursed!?"

You shook your head, trying to rid the voice. What the hell was that about? You thought.

"Nah, it's fine," Fujinuma replied, removing her arms from you both, "Hey Tsumiki, surely we can go to your apartment and play truth or dare?"

"Why truth or dare?"

"Because it's almost Halloween! We can add a spooky twist to it."

"Ok, but sorry in advance for the messy apartment. Megumi was supposed to wash the dishes last night, but he left them out. I can't promise he'll be nice to anyone, either."

"It's not a problem," You told her, "He's not that bad."

The two girls looked at you curiously.

"What?" You questioned, glancing from one to the other.

"He's a nuisance at school, Y/n," Fujinuma told you, "He beats up kids for no reason."

"He doesn't listen to me, either," Tsumiki added.

"Well, I'm sure he has a reason to fight them," You replied.

"Y/n, do you like him!?" Fujinuma exclaimed.

"What!?" You said, stopping before the three of you crossed the walkway to the train station, "No!"

"That's disappointing," Tsumiki sighed, "You'd be the best sibling-in-law."

You weren't sure whether to take that as a compliment or take offence.

"Are you out of your mind, Tsumiki!? I just said he's not that bad!"

"You'd be such a cute couple," Fujinuma said. "He is in the same year as you, after all. Isn't he in a lot of your classes?"

"Stop it, both of you."

You knew they were joking about it, but it still bothered you as you got on the train with them and gazed out of the window. The sun was setting over the city of Tokyo, warm bright light pouring into the train. You thought about the voices you'd heard in your head.