Prologue // Grace

My whole life I've known what is like to be unloved, to be thrown away like you are nothing. Neither one of my birth parents wanted me, none of their family members wanted me either, so I spent my whole life in the foster-care system.

Now for most kids foster-care is good, some get lucky and end up with loving and caring families who eventually go on to adopt them, make them apart of their very own family. That's the best case.

The worst case, which is how I ended up is not so loving. I spent eighteen years in the system, in that time I spent my years in seven foster homes and then a group home until it was time for me to age out.

I wasn't loved, I wasn't wanted, I was alone.

But I survived my childhood and all the bad and the ugly nightmares that came with it.

Once I aged out, I got help and I got accepted into college on a scholarship and I vowed to help people. I worked myself through college and then medical school, so I wouldn't have to depend on anyone not that I had one anyway, all I've ever known is to depend on myself, because I never had anyone in life who cared for me.

But I found over the years that the loneliness was always around me, like a silent painful reminder that I was alone in this world, that I had no one.

So, when I met Xander in my last few years of medical school. I thought he was everything, I thought he was going be my forever, my prince charming, I thought he was going to be the person who healed my lonely heart, who taught me how to love and to be loved, who would have shown me what real love was for another person.

But I was wrong he wasn't that person who loved me, cared for me he was the one who hurt me, broke me and vowed to one day to kill me if I ever left him.

I thought my nightmares ended after foster-care, and that my happily ever after started when I met Xander.

It turns out I didn't know what real nightmares were until I married him.