Wattpad Original

Chapter 61

As the Stronghold came into view, the wooden palisade looked rather unfriendly compared to the chain-link fence I was used to seeing. This palisade was tall enough to keep Runners from climbing over, but it also prevented those within from seeing trouble coming, which probably accounted for the numerous sentries on duty, half of which were teenagers.

"Are they going to let these two in with how they're sneezing?" I asked. If Nina went inside with the cure, I knew Daniel would follow, which also meant I'd be staying with the truck to protect those left outside the fence. The zombies might not be able to see inside, but that didn't stop them from circling the Stronghold.

"I'm not sure," Nina eventually said.

"Animals won't let Kevin near them yet," I commented, "although a shower with lots of soap and some clean clothes will do wonders."

The man looked disappointed but nodded. "If they let me in, I'll ask if I can clean up and have some spare clothing."

I wasn't really concerned about what he did during our stop at this Stronghold. Nor would it hurt my feelings if he was too slow and got left behind. I had a more pressing concern right now, and it had nothing to do with him.

My eyes drifted to Liz and Nicky. So far, Nicky had been so well behaved in the various Strongholds it was making me uneasy, as if my luck was about to run out in a rather unfortunate way. Liz had been quiet, but I wasn't sure how long that might last.

Is it possible to kill two birds with one stone? In real life, I stood a good chance of making a rock do that particular trick, but this was a different type of ball game with some rather unorthodox players who probably weren't about to follow the rules.

"Nicky, you're in charge of looking after Liz if they let us in."

"Sure," she agreed easily.

I really hope I don't regret this... I wasn't just having second thoughts about my plan – those had already come and gone – I was onto fifth and sixth thoughts already. Perhaps I needed a backup plan or two...

I glanced at John and Logan. "And you two are in charge of keeping Nicky out of trouble."

Logan winced slightly at being assigned such an unfavorable task. He might not understand Nicky or her humor, but he knew he didn't want to be responsible for the unpredictable woman.

John scratched his head. "Can I watch Liz instead?"

Nicky grinned at the hapless men. "Nope. You two are screwed. And no, I'm the one who gets to look after Liz."

I growled a light reprimand. "Watch your word choice, Nicky. If Liz starts repeating such things, I'll be blaming you."

"Sorry."

Liz looked up from her seat beside me and attempted to mimic my growl. "Grrrr."

Nicky rolled over, howling in laughter. The sound of snickering and quiet laughter came from all directions as the rest of my traveling companions found Liz's sound effect hilarious.

The irony of who Liz chose to copy made me shake my head in faint amusement. "That wasn't quite what I expected."

Liz looked around with slight confusion, then grinned when she realized she had made them all laugh. So much for Nicky being the bad influence...

I shook my head again and studiously watched the palisade get closer. Nicky just grinned at me as she sat up.

When we reached the gate, I checked the air and murmured, "I don't think anyone inside is still infected. All the scents are fading."