twenty three

Harry

She looks up at me, her eyes wide and shockingly blue. I simply smile, to assure her that I knew what I had said and that I meant it. Her mouth is slightly agape, lips parted, and I just want to press mine to hers again.

"Really?" She finally breathes, still looking at me as if she saw a ghost. 

"Yeah. Only if you want." I say quickly, and I realize that my heart is beating quicker than usual. 

I wasn't sure what caused me to ask her. Maybe it was because I had just shared with her a very personal aspect of my music thus far, or maybe it was because I still couldn't get my mind off of last night; how we laid there together and how everything just felt so good with her. Plus, I wasn't ready to part with her so soon, and I could tell she was getting tired. Selfishly, I wanted her to stay.

I also wasn't quite sure what drove me to play for her. It felt special to me though, sharing with her something that I'd been creating for a while now, something that I was immensely proud of. I don't even think I've played it that passionately for myself, but having her be the first to listen to it and give her feedback was everything I needed in the moment. She gave me a confidence that I didn't even know I was missing until she stood there, and all of a sudden, I felt so free and engulfed in the music, like nothing else mattered except the piano, me, and her.

"I work tomorrow." She says, not denying or accepting my ask, but simply stating a fact, as if she's trying to figure out how to work around it. 

"I can drive you." 

"I meant like, I have no clothes. I don't have any sleeping clothes either. Or a toothbrush." She laughs slightly, as if she's realizing all of this as it comes out of her mouth. 

"I have a toothbrush for you. And you can sleep in my clothes. And we can stop by yours tomorrow to get clothes." I offer, without realizing it might sound desperate. 

She bites her lip, contemplating my rebuttal. She sighs deeply, and I bounce my knee impatiently, the suspense killing me. I wanted her to say yes, to lay with her and just talk for hours. I didn't want anything else, nor did I expect anything else from her other than to just spend time together. 

"Fine." She finally says, and I let go of a breath I didn't realize I was holding. The lips of my mouth curve upward, as I'm unable to contain my emotion. "But I need sleep tonight." She says, half-jokingly as she smirks. 

"Of course." I say, and we push ourselves upright to make our way upstairs. She follows me as we walk up the stairs, passing by various art hanging on the walls. Her eyes trail around, examining the place as we approach closer to my bedroom, a hand lightly brushing along the railing. 

We reach the top of the stairs and I push the door to my bedroom open, revealing the space. It was a pretty simple room with a bed, and a huge window across from it, which was my absolute favorite part. It made waking up such a pleasure. There was a large standing mirror next to a loveseat, and a TV mounted in the opposite corner of the room, although it rarely got used. 

"Wow," Beverly breathes in awe, as she gazes out the window. The city lights were twinkling in the horizon, lighting up the entire skyline of Los Angeles. 

"Yeah, it's amazin'." I nod, and we stand next to each other admiring the image in front of us. 

"Your room is beautiful." She compliments, her eyes wandering around the room, taking in the area just as I did when I was at hers. 

"Thank you, it's not much. I don't spend too much time in here, just to sleep." I tell her honestly. I take her curiosity with the room as an opportunity to gather a few things for her, so I walk to the walk-in closet and flick the light switch on. I realize I'm unsure what she'd like to wear, so I grab a plain t-shirt that I like to sleep in, a distressed Rolling Stones one, and a pair of grey sweats to be safe. When I walk out, she's back at the window, both hands pressed against the glass as she stares out. "I'm not sure what you want to wear, but I grabbed these. If you need something else, I can get it for you." I say, and she turns her body to face me.