xxi.

NICOLAS' POV

I narrow my eyes at the housekeepers, who keep glancing at me where I'm seated at the edge of the bed as they clean up the mess in the bathroom. Some of them are more focused on Giulia than me, only giving me a dirty look when the peer away from her body tucked into my bed.

Our bed?

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose as I try to clear my mind, but it's impossible. My brothers keep blowing up my phone, wanting to know what happened. Vincenzo backs down when I tell him that we can talk about it later, but Alessio even tried coming to my wing of the house to check on Giulia. It seems like my youngest brother has taken it upon himself to keep an eye on my fiancée, and while I should be proud that he's man enough to stand up to me, she's my goddamn fiancée and he's acting as I did something wrong.

Technically speaking, it looks like I did do something wrong. I know that very well, but the aftermath of what happened with Angelo and Carmella? I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction from Giulia, and definitely wasn't expecting her to accidentally hurt herself. I cringe at the thought, knowing that the nasty gash on her hand is going to leave a massive scar.

I swallow hard, trying to forget it, but the hushed voices of the women cleaning makes my teeth grind into each other. I lift my head, shooting them a dirty glare. Normally, my employees, or anyone really, are terrified of me when I stare them down, but this time, they simply look disgusted.

"Stop it," I hiss at them. It's taking my everything I have not to throw them out, but I need the bathroom cleaned. There's dried blood, bottles of products that shattered leaving glass behind, and because I was busy trying to manage Giulia, it's gotten a bit sticky. "I'm not going to touch her. Stop staring at me like that. Just remember who signs your paychecks."

The women don't seem pleased with my answer, although they shut up and get back to work. My eyes flicker over to the beautiful blonde tucked into the comforter, fast asleep. The rising and falling of her chest in a uniform rhythm and the occasional twitch of one upper eyelid gathering my attention. She looks at peace.

After I stitched her up, we sat there for a while, but when I tried to get her up, which I needed her to do so I could get up as well, she threw up. I assumed it was from the pain, considering she allowed me to do everything without any medication, but honestly, I'm just glad that she didn't completely pass out.

I wanted to help her get into the shower, but felt uncomfortable even suggesting it after what happened, so instead I helped clean her arm up and washed her face, for all of which she was simply just there. Giulia stood quietly as I tugged off her clothing, leaving her in her matching pink lace panties and bra, which I couldn't even fathom sexualizing in the moment, before I put one of my t-shirts over her body. As soon as I got her into bed, she fell asleep.

My hand hesitates to reach out to her, but I brush her blonde hair out of her face after a moment. She's perfect, and I hate that. I hate that she comes into my life perfect, when all I can do is ruin her.

Fuck Angelo. I know which game he's trying to play, and I'm not here for it. But I know better. I've grown up with him, was best friends with him when we were kids, so I can tell his shit eating grin apart from his actual smile. He's playing me.

Angelo wants me to show weakness. He wants me to plague Giulia as my only weakness, and I refuse to do that. Not only will it make me a terrible leader to show how weak I am for her, but it will give him a reason to mess with her too.

He's ruthless.

Angelo is already interested in her, simply because she's forbidden fruit, and he's going to keep his hands off of her unless he wants them cut off his goddamn body. I don't give a fuck who he is at that point.