Prologue

Prologue

"Counsellors, closing statements please."

Makayla ignores the glare Daniel Huntington III sends her as he rises to make his closing statement. The little prick blabs on about how her client acted in excessive force and should be charged with murder. The ADA normally wouldn't bother with cases like this but when the wife of the bruiser for the Irish mob kills her husband, it's a gold star case. Of course, under normal circumstances the DA's team would be the one defending the woman but this isn't a normal case. Makayla had wondered why until she'd learnt that Sean O'Connor was going to testify against his boss. Now, she has the added pleasure of defending a poor, abused woman who acted in self-defence and pissing of Huntington. It's really all about the little pleasures in life.

"Congratulations," bitterly mutters Huntington as he clips shut his briefcase and shoulders past her giving one last parting shot, "bitch."
Makayla just rolls her eyes, not bothering to engage. She doesn't need to since she apparently has a champion.

"That's no way to talk to a lady, boyo," growls the man.

She breaks away from her task to hopefully prevent a brawl breaking out, not that Huntington would brawl of course. The tiniest ruffling of his perfectly slicked hair and she'll be back her defending another person from Huntington.

Luckily, he just transfers his hateful glare from her to the big, burly Irishman. The grim face of Jack Murphy barely moves to acknowledge it and with that Huntington bustles away. Makayla doesn't thank Jack. She's not looking to be in favour with Sean O'Connor's boss.

 "Imogen's a good woman. We'll take care of her. Better she testify against her man than stay with a fecking rat-"

 Makayla holds up a hand to stop him right there. She's not dumb. She's well aware Imogen likely wasn't the one who gutted the bastard but that's apparently what the evidence pointed to and Makayla's not arguing with it. However, those are just her suspicions. What she doesn't need is those confirmed or a testimony that could undo her work, even if the trial is over.

 "Don't tell me another word, Mr. Murphy," instructs Makayla, "the case is closed and over. Let's leave it at that."

Jack Murphy surprisingly quietens and really looks at her. All the way from her classic Kate Louboutin's, up her tailored dress to the curly hair she has pulled back into a low bun. His gaze turns from curious to appreciative. God help her.

Before she has to tell him that men in gangs aren't her type, Imogen interrupts by crashing against Jack and bursting into tears. With some reluctance the man drags her away flanked by the rest of his 'brothers'.

Makayla yanks on her coat and draws it close before gathering her things. She follows the last few stragglers out of the courtroom. It's late to return to the office now but she has to pick up some files for her next few cases. No doubt her bosses will still probably be there working so at least the office won't be empty. The building at night can be creepy. Speaking of her bosses...one of them falls in line with her.

"I didn't see you sneak in. Slow day at the office?" she comments breezily.
The Hanover half of Hannigan and Hanover, PLLC snorts in response.
"The boss status has to come with some perks," he says, "besides what's the point of training baby sharks like you then?"

She raises a perfectly sculpted eyebrow at that all too casual answer. It's a lie of course. Frankie barely sleeps, clears more cases than anyone she's ever worked with and was born in a suit. Besides if she's a baby shark, he's a fucking Great White. Though that's precisely why she pushed so hard to work for him. This city is a container of predators and Frankie for all his good boy demeanour is high on the food chain.