Chapter 12

Mateo's POV
"She didn't do this! Whoa!" Papa yells as we ride into the clearing.

I clutch onto him tightly, fearing for my life on this horse that I foolishly let him lead.

"She didn't do this!" he repeats, stopping the horse weirdly. "I gave her a vision!"

My grip loosens as I look to Mirabel and Abeula standing there in shock, watching Papa getting his foot caught in the reins as he tried to get off.

He stand up straight, his foot still leaning on the horse. I roll my eyes while I get off as smoothly as I could but the proper way and going to stand beside him with a limp and an uneven stand.

The horse moves and he falls. I try to catch him but end up going down with him, landing on him, hurting my leg more.

"Ow! Sorry," I say, getting up with a struggle but still getting up.

"It's ok as long as you're ok," he says quietly. I nod, "It was me," he says louder for them to hear, pointing his finger up.

I laugh and help him up, pulling him by his hand.

"I was like 'go'. And she was like, pfft. She only wanted to help," he tried to explain, explaining with actions as well. I lean on him, not putting any pressure on my injury.

I look to the target audience in front of us and see Abeula watch him with adoration and longing. I guess this is the first time she's seen her son in ten years.

"I don't care what you think of me, but if you're too stubborn to..." Abeula cuts him off with a hug.

"Brunito," she says softly, opening her eyes and pulling me into her hug as well, making me hop, "Mateo."

"It's," I go to correct, "wait, you got it right," I say slowly.

"I feel like we missed something important," Papa says with confusion.

"Definitely," I agree.

"Come on," Mirabel says, walking past us to the horse.

Abeula lets go and kisses dad on the cheek, grabbing his hand and then putting her arm on my waist, pulling us over to the horse and supporting my weight.

Abuela helps me up first before getting up herself, pulling Bruno up.

"What, what's happening? Where are we going?" He asks.

"Yeah, what happened back there?" I add on.

"We're going home," Mira says, flicking the reins and sending the horse off, nearly throwing Papa off in the meantime.

We ride back through town as I grip to Mira. We arrive back at the ruins of Casita and see what truly was left of our beloved home.

She sighs and gets off, the three of us getting off after. I see Tia Julieta hugging her tightly while fretting over her wounds.

Abeula stands at an arch while Bruno and I stay back to not be seen. Papa has his arm around me, supporting me.

"Uh, not if we don't have a house. What! We don't have a house. I can't say we don't have a house. What is that, not a house. And where is Mateo anyway," I hear Camilo say like the sarcastic teen he is.

"Look at this home. We need a new foundation," Mira starts singing, "It may seem hopeless. But we'll get by just fine.

"Look at this family, a glowing constellation. So full of stars, and everybody wants to shine," She starts leading everyone up into the ruins while we still watch.

"But stars don't shine they burn. And the constellations shift. I think its time you learn. You're more then just your gift," she continues.

"And I'm sorry I held on too tight," Abeula cuts in, "just so afraid I'd loose you too."

Papa and I take a shy step out of our hiding while he holds me tightly, scared how this reunion will go.

"The miracle is not, some magic that you've got. The miracle is you," Abeula grabs our hands, pulling us out of the shadows while Tia Julieta and Tia Pepa gasp.

"Not some gift just you. The miracle is you," she finishes off.

Everyone harmonises and Pepa and Julieta hug their brother tightly while Camilo and Isabella pull me into a tight hug. I'm pretty sure Isa had been crying a bit.

"Are you ok," she asks, concerned.

"I'm fine," I say, pulling away but keeping close to them. Antonio joins us and hugs my good leg.

"Ok so, we gonna talk about Bruno?" Camilo says hesitantly, I laugh, slinging my arm around him and and one around Isa, keeping my weight on them.

"That's Bruno," Antonio asks, pretending to be oblivious.

"Yeah. There's a lot to say about Bruno," Dad plays along, "I'll start ok. Pepa, I'm sorry 'bout your wedding, didn't mean to be upsetting. That wasn't a prophecy, I could just see that you were sweating.

"And I wanted you to know that your bro loves you so let it in, let it out. Let it rain, let it go," He sings, throwing salt around like snow. I laugh.

"That's what I'm always saying bro," Tio Felix agrees.

"I got a lot of apologizes I got to say."

"Hey, we're just happy that you're here ok," Julieta pulls him into a hug.

"Come into the light."

"That trip was only the night."

"And no matter what happens we're going to find our way," they harmonize.

"Yo, I knew he never left I heard him everyday," Dolores says, hitting Camilo with her shoulder, making me put weight on my leg.

"Ow!" I call, grabbing my leg gently while Camilo and Isa help me back up.

"Oops. Sorry Mateo," she apologizes with grimace.

We hear voices chorusing and we all turn to the archway.

"What's that sound?" Abeula asks.

"I think it's everyone in town," Antonio replies.

I smile. Maybe thing aren't hopeless after all.

(You know how the rest of the song goes)

Thank you all do much for 2k views.