twenty-nine

It all was a blur.

Darry was so incredibly grateful that he was scheduled to go into work later that day. He had been picking up the house when Louise practically burst through the door with Teddy right behind her.

"Woah, woah, what's goin' on? Caroline know you two ain't in school?" he asked.

"Pa," Louise gasped out. "Pa's back. He's gotta gun, Darry. You gotta help her."

His heart stuttered to a fucking stop in his chest. Caroline's pa. The very thought of the man brought a rushing of burning anger to his chest. Caroline never realized, but he knew about the mottled scars under her blouses. One morning he had woken up before her and laid beside her, studying the way her chest rose and fell easily. The hem of his shirt had bunched up and when she rolled onto her side, he could clearly see the thick, jagged scars of puffy skin that marred her back.

"Where are they?"

"The house. Please, Darry, please," Louise sobbed. Darry kneeled down before the two children and placed a firm hand on their shoulders.

"Listen to me. You're gonna stay here and you ain't gonna let anyone in unless it's one of the boys or one of the Shepards, ya hear? I want you to lock the door behind me when I leave and don't you dare open it for anyone you don't know. Can you do that for me?"

Louise raised her chin defiantly in a look that modeled Caroine so much that it made him want to weep. She nodded sharply. "I can do that."

"You're a mighty brave girl, Louise. Just like your sister."

He shot to his feet and grabbed his keys, racing outside towards his truck. The drive to the Montgomery house was short but it felt like a million years. Anything could happen in a short period of time. He could hear sirens wailing in the distance as he turned onto her street. Darry barely gave himself time to park before he was out and running towards the house.

Screams. Shouts. A shot fired. Darry didn't even hesitate. He rushed up the front steps and threw open the door.

Darry had seen the aftermath of fights before. He had seen how destructive they can get. Nothing could have prepared him for this. The smiling pictures of the Montgomery family were knocked askew on the wall. Furniture was shoved every which way. The blood soaked rug squished under his boots as he moved further into the living room.

Helen stared up at him through hooded eyelids. Thick russet blood spilled out somewhere near her shoulder. Her lips moved just barely and he understood. Caroline. Go to Caroline.

It was a sight that could make a grown man sick. Darry didn't remember kneeling in her blood. Didn't remember the words he begged to her as she stared up at him with blank, unseeing eyes. Her face was battered and blistered. He couldn't see her skin under the thick stain of red that covered her. Her breaths came out raspy and labored. He just needed her to keep her eyes open for a few more minutes. Just a few more-

"Darry!"

He raised his head to see Ponyboy running towards him. His little brother faltered at the sight of him. He would need to wash the truck interior later. He might as well throw these clothes out. The blood had dried on his hands and jeans by now, but Darry couldn't move from the chair. The doctor could come back with news any moment. He needed to be here.

"What happened?" Ponyboy cried, horror leaking into his voice. Steve rounded the corner and joined him, his face paling at the sight of his friend.

"I didn't get there in time," Darry murmured. "I wasn't able to protect her. I told her I'd come for her and I broke my promise and now..."

"Darry, what happened?" Steve repeated. "Two's with Louise and Teddy, but we didn't stick around long enough to hear from them."