"Don't Look Down"

chapter three; "Don't Look Down"

JINX WAS tired of the dwarfs and their 'jokes'.

This was an embarrassingly long fight.

Passalos glanced at the Archimedes sphere, which had rolled between Leo's feet.

Leo summoned another fireball. "Try me," he snarled.

"Bye!" Passalos did a backflip and ran after his brother.

Leo scooped up the Archimedes sphere and ran over to Jason, who was still hanging upside down, thoroughly hog-tied except for his sword arm. He was trying to cut the cords with his gold blade but having no luck.

"Hold on," Leo said. "If I can find a release switch—"

"Just go!" Jason growled. "I'll follow you when I get out of this."

"But—" He glanced at Jinx, who was still in a daze.

"Don't lose them!"

Leo left Jason hanging and Jinx in confusion, and ran after them.

"Are you okay?" Jason asked her when they were left alone.

She frowned, scratching her cheek. "Yeah. I just had a funny feeling, that's all."

He nodded his head, "good, good..."

Awkward silence filled the room when Jason asked, "so can you help me down?"

"Oh! Yeah, sure."

Jinx stood, wiping dust off of her hands and swiping her sword at the rope. It took a couple of hacks, but he fell down on his feet, giving her a thanks.

He awkwardly held out his hand, "Come on."

Confused, she asked, "what- are we going to hold hands the entire way there?" Jinx was hesitant to grab hold of his hand, but Jason was frustrated and tired of wasting time.

Jason pulled her to his chest, careful not to get hit by her sword, and said, "hold on."

"Hold on for what?"

Without saying anything else he lifted the two of them up from the ground and started searching for Leo. 

"Don't look down."

Jinx instinctively looked down.

"Too late." She took a shaky breath, wrapping her arms around Jason's neck tighter.

When Jason spotted them, because Jinx was too scared to look back down, his anger rose again. Just seeing the two dwarfs were enough to make sparks fly off of him.

Thunder boomed. Lightning flashed, and the bars on the nearest window burst into sizzling, melted stubs of iron.

Jason flew in like Peter Pan, electricity sparking around him and his gold sword steaming, gently dropping Jinx down and locking his eyes on the targets.

But said targets were taken down and nicely tied up.

Leo whistled appreciatively. "Man, you just wasted an awesome entrance."

Jason frowned. "What the—"

"All by myself," Leo said.Jinx gave him a thumbs up. "I'm special that way. How did you guys find me?"

"Uh, the smoke," Jason managed. "And I heard popping noises. Were you having a gunfight in here?"

"- I didn't hear any popping noises." Jinx muttered, "the only things popping were my ears."