6 | probably won't save the world

Scorpius

Scorpius

"Pfft," is the first noise that escapes my lips. Normally Vienna's word is law, but not now. "That makes no sense. Wouldn't we know?"

Vienna's not used to being questioned. Turning her head in my direction, she shoots me a scathing look. "Does the note we got from Antares ring any bells? It directly says that we're the next Nebulans."

"We don't know if Antares is credible," I point out in a bored voice. "You sound like Leo explaining why hot people are automatically credible."

Leo huffs, crosses his arms, looking quite put out that I targeted him in my example. I can do that, and Leo can't stop me.

Vienna's eyes flash angrily; it seems I'd forgotten that she dislikes Leo. "We have no similarities, Darktale. I am not going to take your word as law, like one of your Hell Zoners."

I huff lightly, already zoning out of the conversation before I respond with a, "But you used to be a Hell Zoner. Granted, you were the Hell Zone matriarch before you left. That only proves my point more — you're more Hell Zone than you think, my dear."

At this point, Vienna decides to blatantly ignore me. "I want answers to this. I don't want to leave the world hanging, if we really are the next Nebulans. We could save the world!"

She is met by the blank faces of everyone. It's obvious, painfully obvious that no one actually wants to save the world. We all just want to find another shelter school, another place where children are snatched away from abusive situations. Like Lonely Star. Maybe we'll all fit into one. None of us want to save the world. None of us think we can save the world. Yeah, maybe save a snack for someone, utilizing enough self-control to not immediately wolf it down, but nothing more than that.

It's Sagitta who says what everyone else is thinking. "... No."

"Say that again?" Vienna usually doesn't expect so much distaste for her ideas, and I don't blame her; she usually has genius ideas.

"No. I don't want to save the world. I'm an arsonist booked into a last hope before prison. I get shitty grades. I already hate my life. I am in the lowest percentile of kids in the Seven Worlds. I don't want to be a protector. They all end up badly. And anyway, Antares was probably lying. There's no point," Sagitta summarizes everyone's thoughts easily. She's not wrong, though. We'd be really shitty world saviors, and it's not even a job we want. Vienna's honestly a bit dumb to want that.

"I thought you'd say that," Vienna admits. "Still though, aren't you curious?"

"Nope," Ari shuts her down casually. As she attempts to speak again, Ari shakes his head eagerly before talking over her. "Even if we are the Nebulans, which might make a little bit of sense if I knew what the hell you were actually talking about, our biggest issue right now is shelter."