Chapter 37

Maddy had never actually been to Italy.

It was ridiculous of her to have not gone sooner, considering that the Salvatore surname was Italian, and she probably had some distant relatives there. In all honesty, she'd never felt like going because she and her brothers were always fighting, and this was something she wanted them to do as a family.

She was considerably happier, knowing Klaus had made amends with Rebekah. Though he looked embarrassed, having had to tell his baby sister that he'd done something wrong, he seemed to puff up his chest every time he noticed the proud smiles Maddy cast at him.

He compelled a crew of workers to find Alexander's grave using metal detectors and large tunneling systems, considering the earth over San Vittore had changed immensely throughout the past centuries.

He helped where he could, to limit the amount of machines that were brought in. He was intending to pay the workers, and didn't want their equipment potentially ruining the sword.

"Would you ever take the cure?" he'd asked her suddenly, when they'd gone to sit down for a bit in the shade.

Maddy frowned. "The cure isn't for me, I want it for Elena and Meredith. And for Rebekah, too."

"That's not what I asked, love. Would you ever take it?"

"I never really thought about it. I guess I'd consider it. I chose to become a vampire so that I could stick alongside my brothers. At the time it felt like the right thing. In hindsight, it was impulsive. But I don't regret it. If there was a way we could all become human, maybe." She nudged him. "Would you take it?"

"Never."

"Did you ever, at one point in the last thousand years, wish to be human again?"

He faltered a bit, at that. "Once. I was on a trek in the Andes, and a hummingbird flew up to me. It just hovered there, staring at me, its tiny heart was pattering like a machine gun. And I thought, what a thing, you know, to have to work that hard every day just to stay alive. To be constantly on the verge of death and how satisfying every day must be that it survived. And that was the only time I thought about being human. I see no reason to be human again. I have grown accustomed to my existence. I value my strength. I require it, to protect my family. For what reason would you wish to be human?"

Maddy pursed her lips. "To be able to have kids again. Maybe become a good mother, like the one I had. I have this fear that if I die as a vampire, I'll never see her again. She's probably in heaven, if that even exists... feeling disappointed. If I were human, I could maybe redeem myself enough to catch a glimpse of her, even if just for a moment."

Klaus took her hand. "I believe she's proud of you. She knows her daughter... albeit a tad manipulative and fiery in certain situations... is a vicious protector and will not allow her family to come to harm."

She smirked. "Well, I'm nowhere near as manipulative as you. If I get it from anyone, it's from my father. That prat."

"Oh," said Klaus teasingly. "You said prat. It appears Damon's worst fears have come true. I've corrupted you."

"If that's what constitutes corruption then I should say 'bloody' every time I speak to Damon and really drive him nuts." She looked up at the sky. "If you're going to stay immortal, then so will I. I want to be with you forever. But do you think that maybe, in the far future, we could... try to raise a kid together?"

Klaus turned red. "You do realize we cannot have a child, don't you? As hard as we may try... as enjoyable as it sounds... it's impossible, love."

"I don't mean making a baby. We can adopt one. Like how you adopted Marcel. Eventually, we can try and be parents. I think I'd like that. Would you?"