Chapter X - freefall

The stewardess led us to our seats. Actually it was more like a room with a whole bed, armchair and tv. First class is amazing.

"This is great!" I exclaimed as I shut the door. Lucifer didn't look like he agreed with me. He walked around the room and turned back to me with a frown on his face.

"It's so small." He started to complain as I took a seat on the bed. "This is so much better than being crammed in between two other people." I shook my head and told him.

He rolled his eyes at me and started to pace around the small area. "How long is this going to take?" He asked. The plane hasn't even taken off yet and he's already so impatient.

I let out a forced chuckle and avert my eyes. Maybe I should've told him before we got on. 13 hours. I told him, not daring to say it out loud.

"What?" He stopped pacing and turned to stare at me. "13 hours?"

"Come on. We can play games, watch some movies. Anything you want." I said in hopes of cheering him up. Having a grumpy devil definitely isn't good. "Can I go?"

Lucifer tilted his head a little to the side as he asked. I grumbled in return and fell back onto the bed, "it's not like you'll die if you stay here."

The bed creaked as he sat down beside me. "I'll die of boredom."

I turned to my side, "Give it a chance. Plane rides are super fun, especially in first class."

Just then, the PA system came on and informed us that the plane was going to take off soon and that we should remain in our rooms until the light at the door turned green.

"Please be reminded to switch your phones to airplane mode and have a nice flight."

Right after the announcement ended, Lucifer let himself fall backwards onto the bed. "We're not in the air yet?" He sighed, "this is taking forever."

"Stop complaining, this is the fastest human way to get to the Bahamas."

I turned my attention away from him and looked around our room, realising that there wasn't a single window. Guess we got the one in the middle. "It's too bad we can't see the plane take off, it would be pretty cool." I told Lucifer.

"Really?" He dragged out and I could practically see an idea forming in his head. "Hey, close your eyes." He instructed as he searched around the bed for my hand.

"Just do it." He said again and I reluctantly closed them.

When I opened them again, we were standing in the cockpit. My eyes widened as I turned to Lucifer who was looking pretty smug, then to the pilot who had just turned around in his chair.

I let out a nervous chuckle. "I, we, we're not supposed to be here." I fumbled with my words as I tugged harshly on Lucifer's hand, slowly backing out the room.

He didn't seem to have heard me as he talked to the stewardess who just came in. She didn't seem to have seen me either.

"What did you do?" I looked from the pilots to the stewardess then to Lucifer, trying to understand what was happening.

"We're not physically here." He explained as he pulled my hand up. "If you want to go back, just let go." He made an example and let go of my hand. We were back in the room, lying on the bed.

"Oh." I gasped and sat up. "Let's do that again."

Lucifer grabbed my hand as I laid back down. And a moment later, we were back in the cockpit.

We watched as the pilots did their thing and soon the plane was in the air. It was more anticlimactic than I thought it would be.

Lucifer saw through my disappointment as he tugged on my hand. "Come on," was all he said before he brought us out onto the wing of the plane.

My eyes widened as I realised where we were and my grip on his hand tightened. The plane was tilted up as it rose into the sky and it felt like we were going to fall off.

"Relax, you're not actually here."

He tugged me over to the edge of the wing and sat down, his legs dangling over the engine. Nervously, I sat down beside him and glanced down. We were pretty high up.

I took in a deep breath as I gripped onto the edge, it really felt like I was actually sitting there. "I thought you said you wanted to see the plane take off." Lucifer commented, making me turn to him.

It felt like he was laughing at me. "I did, through a window." I informed him and turned to the passengers that were sitting inside.

"Isn't this better? Front row seats."

As he said that, he casually leaned back and turned to the sky. The buildings and skyscrapers were moving further and further away as we rose up into the clouds.

But I still couldn't help but look down, it was a huge drop. "I won't die?" I asked and turned to Lucifer for assurance. He shook his head. "Even if I jump?" Theoretically.

He raised an eyebrow and turned to me. "No, but..." he paused for a moment to consider. "Will you?" There was some forced laughter before I leaned over the edge and looked down again.

"Maybe?"

If I think about it, jumping in this state is much safer than physically jumping. That is if I actually get myself to do it.

"That's good enough for me." Lucifer grinned as he stood up and pulled me up with him. "Wait, what do you mean-" Before I could process what he said, he reached for my other hand and stepped off the wing.

I could feel my heart at my throat as we plummeted through the sky. "Lucifer!!" I screamed and squeezed his hands. I could feel the wind rushing past us as we fell, the green patch below us getting bigger and bigger every second.

It really looked like we were going to hit the ground soon and Lucifer looked so calm. I didn't know what to do or what to expect so I shut my eyes and braced for impact.

"Are you done?" Lucifer cleared his throat and asked. I was still squeezing his hands but it didn't feel like we hit the ground.

I slowly opened my eyes and we were back in our room. I had my knees curled up to my chest as I laid on my side, my arms were stretched out grabbing onto Lucifer for dear life.

I let out a hum as I quickly let go of him. Well, wasn't that fun.

"Want to go again?"

I quickly pushed myself off the bed and stepped out of Lucifer's reach. "No way." I said immediately, I'm never doing that again. I didn't even want to in the first place.

Lucifer shrugged as he stretched out across the bed. "You were right, plane rides are fun." I chuckled, this was not the kind of fun I was talking about but well glad he liked it.

"So, what are we going to do now?"

I smiled at him and searched the room for the controller to the tv. No more out-of-body excursions thank you very much. "Let's watch a movie." I said and climbed back onto the bed.