10 Rematch

I had told no one of the strange conversation that I had with the Duke in the hallway the night before but it had stuck with me all the same. The way he spoke to me, the way he looked at me, it gave me a feeling much unlike anything I had experienced before. It was almost as if he had taken an interest in me. But that couldn't be.

He was a Duke, the highest level of nobility short of the royal family themselves. And I hadn't been trying to attract his attention. If anything my childish pilfering of Swiss chocolates should have turned him away forever. Perhaps it had. Perhaps he was being so kind to me because I was the one person who couldn't mistake his intentions. He knew I was unavailable. He knew that nothing could happen between us. So perhaps it was friendship he wanted.

But the way he had looked at me in my brother's study before had implied it wasn't only friendly affection he was feeling toward me. I sighed and stood from my desk just as the door to my bedroom opened and a maid entered to assist me in getting ready for the Redmond ball.

Well, I thought as I gazed at my own appearance in the mirror, there's only one way to be sure.

"I'd like to wear my new dress tonight," I told my maids as they entered with my corset and undergarments. "The green one."

The two servants exchanged a look before one scurried off to find the gown and the other began helping me into my underclothes. I requested the finest for the evening. My grandmother's diamonds which we'd always had access to but never wore in favor of the newer fashions, now sparkled mesmerizingly above my well defined cleavage. I smiled at the eye-catching effect. No more high necked little girl's dresses. I may not be available for courtship but I was still a woman and should have a woman's dress to display my feminine figure.

The deep emerald dress my mother had ordered for me when I had made such an assertion flattered my form exquisitely like no other dress ever had. It was slim at the waist but accentuated curvature in all the right places. I smiled as one of our servants leaned over to gloss my pink lips. The other worked fervently behind me, sculpting my auburn tendrils into a curled masterpiece upon my head. Nothing but the best this evening, I had decided.

When they had finished, I was nearly breathless at my own reflection. I thanked my maids wholeheartedly and pried my eyes away from the mirror long enough to lift my skirts and make my way to the door. The moment I opened it, I heard the shouting.

"Go on ahead! I'll bring her!" Elijah's voice was booming as his footsteps quickened their pace coming towards my room.

I glanced at the servants, about to ask what time it was. I had taken considerably longer in my efforts to get ready and hadn't even thought to check the time. Before I could ask, however, my brother rounded the corner and stopped in his tracks. As his eyes roved over me, they widened.

"Ella," he gasped. I smiled and gave a mock little bow. He broke out into a smile of his own and approached, arms spread wide. "You look absolutely incredible."

"Thank you brother," I answered.

"But you'll have to learn how to achieve the same effect much faster. Everyone has already left," he told me, extending an arm.

I muttered an apology as I took it and we hurried through the hall, down the stairs, and into another waiting carriage. As badly as I felt that I had caused us to be late, I was pleased not to find myself cramped into a carriage with my sister and mother as well. The ride was much more pleasant with Elijah as my only company. He told me stories of the hunt and had me laughing along with a tale of Benthem's horrible aim as we pulled up to the curb of the Redmonds' home.

When we arrived at the door, Elijah did his duty and helped me out of the cab. I exited to the stunned stares of the gentry milling about on the outer steps. A few men smiled my way, one even winked. The women only offered me open mouthed stares. I felt my cheeks burning as I walked into the ballroom on my brother's arm, starting to wonder if this plan hadn't been the good idea I'd hoped.