18 Lack of Intentions

In truth, I had come in search of a diversion and I'd thought a hunt would be the perfect distraction from my own thoughts which seemed to wander as of late. But when I saw her standing in the gardens with her brother, I knew the effort was fruitless. Made even more so by the strange way she had behaved when I'd greeted her. Cold and distant and fleeing from me the first chance she got. I must have done something to offend her. I must have made some mistake. But I could not, for the life of me, think of what that may be. And so this became the center of my thoughts for the entirety of the hunt which I had sought out for the exact opposite purpose.

"I saw several gentlemen coming and going from the house this morning, Elijah," Benthem said with a smile as we rode quietly through the woods, the only sounds before now being our horses' hooves on the pounded dirt path.

"Indeed," Elijah replied, though he did not smile as Benthem had. "I thought that would be a good sign. Until I went inside to change my clothes for the hunt and heard my mother and sister at one another's throats once again."

"Whatever for? Isn't this precisely what your mother wanted?"

"It wasn't my mother who was upset this time."

"Emily?" Benthem asked, surprised. "Why was she upset?"

Elijah's eyes slid to me. Oh no.

"It seems that she fancied a certain gentleman, a specific gentleman, and he did not come to call," Elijah explained. It took everything I had not to mutter a curse.

"Oh dear," Benthem said, oblivious. "Well, did he show any interest before?"

"I believe he showed her a kindness which she misconstrued as interest," Elijah replied and I felt a tremendous sense of relief at his words. Watching me still, he raised a brow. "But I could be wrong?"

"No," I answered and Benthem looked between us, finally realizing what was occurring.

"Oh," Benthem said in understanding. "I see."

"You did say you had come to find a wife," Elijah reminded me. "And Emily is eligible. I do not blame you for the misunderstanding. As her older brother, I would urge you to consider her but as, what I hope I can call your friend, I would just like to request that if you have no interest, you ensure that she's aware of your intentions, or lack thereof."

I nodded.

"A reasonable request," I answered. "And my apologies. Sincerely, Elijah, I meant no harm."

"I know you didn't," Elijah responded, stopping his horse and hopping off. Benthem and I did the same. "Has this business between Madison and Ella been resolved?"

He was looking at Benthem now and I imagined that was the end of our conversation concerning Emily. I was grateful for that. As uncomfortable as I'd been, he had conducted himself well. The proper big brother looking out for the safety and wellbeing of his younger sister. I knew he loved Emily but I could also tell, as could anyone who paid attention, that the core of his true affection lied with Ella and had it been she I'd placed in that situation, I doubted he would have been as generous.

"Who's to say?" Benthem answered with a sigh. "Matters between women, you know. One moment they're at each other's throats, the next they're the greatest of friends again. All I know is that Madison felt so awful she wouldn't eat dinner last night and every time I tried to get her to tell me what had occurred between the two of them, she simply turned away and sobbed into her pillow. If it isn't resolved yet, I pray it will be soon. I can't take the tears."

"Ella wouldn't tell me what happened either."

"I imagine it has something to do with the, er, comment that Madison made of an inappropriate nature last night."