CHAPTER FOUR. A PRELUDE TO SUMMER SONGS

( CHAPTER FOUR && A PRELUDE TO SUMMER SONGS )

turn your back on mother nature

THE WINGS OF a callow butterfly withers under the visage of summer sun. For which the insect of lowly earth had attempted to pierce the heavens with humble wings. What came of this was the evident and known fact that no mortal being could ever reach the celestial city above.

Yet the gods who proclaimed immortality and divinity were just as lowly as the insects they mocked.

How odd immortality can be when the gods themselves claimed eternal life and divinity as their absolute dominion. Mortal sickness could never touch the gods and so long as their wounds are reparative, they may live for as long as the passage of time goes on. Though the gods themselves are lonely creatures. Eternally forced to watch and interfere with the lives of mortals, unable to perish even when solitude leaves them with nothing left in the world. But stripped of that immortality, they would be human, mortal.

The gods themselves are too arrogant to allow their eternity slip and give into weakness. As chosen by Celestia, they dictate the alignment of the stars and carve constellations with their sanctitude. The heavens, skies, and ephemeral domain of paradise belonged to them, entirely untouched and pure. Thus they distanced themselves from mortals; yet they couldn't help and watch to ease their lonesome existence.

To entertain themselves, the gods torment the humans. Finding joy in toying with lowly beings as pathetic as insects. They weave fate into the stars, twisting lives to ensure anguish. All to muse themselves of their own boredom and seclusion of life.

The gods only ever found pleasure in the agony of others.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS DRESS, BARBARA?"

YOU TURNED AROUND with a beautifully designed verdant organza dress, embroidered onto it was frills of silver and laced upon with white tulle. Barbara, who had delightfully agreed to come dress shopping with you, looked up— eyes immediately lighting up with excitement.

"Oh, it's beautiful!" She marveled, rushing over to examine the intricate details of the dress with twinkling eyes. "Green suits you very well, Big Sister!"

"Does it?" You laughed softly, taking a quick glance in the mirror to watch the dress swish with your every pivot and spin. "Compared to the red, do you like this one more?"

Barbara pulled back, nodding fervently. "The green compliments you very well, Big Sister! I much prefer this dress on you."

Barbara was honest, perhaps too honest and good for the world at times. She truly was a beacon of happiness for all around her but, at the same time, you could almost see the loneliness in her eyes. The idolization, the adoration— sometimes it all becomes far too superficial to be distinguished as genuine. And she was the youngest, standing in the shadows of her two eldest sisters though not by name association anymore.