CHAPTER 59 ↠ the painting

For the next couple of days Bea stayed in her bed still, and she wouldn't even talk to Polly

For the next couple of days Bea stayed in her bed still, and she wouldn't even talk to Polly. Michael was the one that attempted to get things out of her one last time, being called to the house by Polly herself.

"Mum is worried. She's calling the doctor again tomorrow," he says as he sits on the edge of Bea's bed.

Bea looks at him but stays quiet.

"She said you were doing better, but a couple of days ago you stopped eating again... It'd be helpful to all if you just spoke and told us what you need."

"I think I need... fresh air."

"Do you want to go outside? I can help you."

"No. I think I need to... go away."

"Away to where?"

"London."

"London? That's hardly fresh air," Michael attempts to joke light-heartedly.

"I think I need to... leave this shithole Birmingham behind and... go back to my sisters and my aunt..."

"You hate it there."

"I hate it here, too."

Michael smiles sadly. "Yeah, me too." He pauses before speaking again. "I'll tell mum you want to go back to London. I'd take you myself, but I don't want to leave Gina here on her own and she wouldn't last the journey anyway."

Bea doesn't answer and just closes her eyes.

"All right, I'll speak to mum now." He caresses her arm and tucks her in a bit better before quietly leaving the room.

Michael spoke to Polly as he promised and Polly agreed that the best for her would be to be with her sisters, safely away from the troubles in Birmingham. Polly spoke to Aberama who agreed and said that would see if someone could travel to Bea to London the next day.

In the morning she took a bath as Polly's maid packed a bag. Only one, since everyone was hoping Bea would come back sooner rather than later and wouldn't have to move everything back and forward.

Bea was also hoping that she'd be able to return to Birmingham, but right now she needed time away from everything and everyone.

When she got out Polly and Aberama were sitting on the sofa, talking quietly to each other.

"Johnny Dogs will take you to London," Polly announces. "Tommy told him to do so."