97: Stay

"Huh?" Amber's eyes widened at his words and she glanced at him, noticing the stiffness in his face and the sad twitch of his lips. "No, no. I just don't want to be a burden to you—"

"You're not." His voice was cold, harsh with his frustration and the change in his face was evident when he turned to her. She had never seen that expression on his face before. His usually cheery adorable smirks had transformed into a chilly look of pure anger. He was furious.

"Never say that. Never," he spoke before turning to the road. She was shocked by the force of his statement, by how offended he was. His voice was cold, icy and steely like the slice of a burning blade on cold butter. "You'll never be a burden to me." His voice was softer this time.

She was quiet, unable to respond to his words.

"Focus on your education and your dreams," he continued. "We're a team now, a team." He smiled.

It was sweet, like a drop of honey on the tongue after a spoonful of bitter medicine, it washed away the chilly atmosphere he had left behind. "As a team, we share our bank accounts." He nodded frantically, then he glanced at her with a sad expression. "Unless...you don't want to be a team with me."

Hell, how could she even reject such an offer? Damn it.

"Fine..." Amber said, her voice small.

He smiled, looking proud at his first win of their 'argument.'

"Send me your school fees and bills later please." He told her.

The thought of fees and bills caused her mind to wander then, trailing to the legal side of their soulmate bond. She frowned. Hikaru was technically her first confirmed soulmate and she remembered vaguely that there was some kind of form to sign.

What do we do now?" She asked.

"Hmm? Drive home?" He blinked. "Are you hungry?"

"No, no," she snorted at his words. They just ate a mountain of food. Did he really think she could eat more? She gave him a funny look. Seriously? "I mean legally."

"Legally, I'll have to tell my company." He leaned back into his seat languidly, one hand on the wheel and the other playing with her hand. "They'll help facilitate our meeting and hire security for you," he replied. She shot him a look of alarm. His company?

Crap.

She swallowed thickly, fear gushing through her veins and flooding her system. That might be a problem considering how she was blacklisted as an obsessive fan. Hell. They probably couldn't do much to her with Hikaru by her side.

However, telling the company would mean letting every staff member know and such information would never escape the ears of her six other soulmates or the public.

"Because of my age, it's okay for me to reveal to the world that I'm taken but we can keep quiet." He continued, oblivious to her fears.

"Please," she said quickly.

Hikaru smiled, leaning over to press a kiss to her cheek adoringly. She flushed at the soft press of his lips on her skin. It was fleeting like the brush of a butterfly's wing, gentle like the breeze through her hair. It helped to soothe some of the fears that bubbled in her chest.

"Anything you want." The look of adoration in his eyes shone brightly in the darkness of the car and she flushed looking away, unable to stop her heart from thrumming in her chest. "I'll be here for you." He said, his voice was sweet and soft. It caressed her gently, warming her inside like the brush of summer wind through her hair.