104: Pay Me

Amber

Amber was going to be late.

She dashed through the halls of the university, her tote bag clasped tightly to her chest. Her new slippers, courtesy of the hotel, were horrendously squeaky on the polished tiles. The sound screamed and echoed through the corridor, screechy like a wailing cat.

A couple of students shot angry looks at her as if she were an uncouth barbarian frolicking in their midst. A wolf in sheep's skin, a cockroach in their lamb roast. But she couldn't care less. She didn't care about their elitist opinions and judgemental tendencies.

She was going to be late for a class.

A class in which the professor would be issuing a new assignment. Their final project that would be done during the holidays.

Knowing the professor, she wouldn't be able to get away with just a second or two of tardiness. He was another one of those teachers who seemed to be pissed at the world and at life. He was the kind of person to lash out at any student who accidentally looked at him funny that day, simply because he was stressed.

He was the kind of person who believed that he was right and the world was wrong because he had the qualifications to declare so. She didn't know how such a stubborn pig-headed person was allowed to become a teacher but here she was, running late for his class.

Shit.

Just the thought of her professor sent a jolt of fear through her and she quickened her steps. She wasn't a particularly confident person, especially when it came to facing authoritative figures. Her confidence appeared only when she couldn't give a shit about the situation or when she was angry as hell.

She didn't want her ass kicked today. Hell, she didn't want to fail her first semester, especially since she worked her ass off to pay for each expensive lesson.

Sure, Hikaru had offered to pay for the rest but this was funded by her own sweat and tears. This was funded by her deteriorating health and lack of sleep. There had to be some kind of reward for slaving away at the club. And this, in some weird twisted sense, was her reward.

It was partially Hikaru's fault that she was running late.

She groaned at the thought, shaking her head. Although a small, fond smile flickered across her lips. The guy had turned off her alarm without even realising that it wasn't even his phone.

She didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she had woken up an hour later to his face plastered to the pillow with her phone pressed to his chest. His hair had been an adorable mess of curls, his sweet face puffy and a little swollen from sleep.

He was adorable, as usual, and she didn't blame him for the blunder at all although he did blame himself. She had exited the toilet to Hikaru speed dialling the concierge for clothes and slippers in her size.

The both of them tore out of the hotel at breakneck speed, with Hikaru, half in tears. When they hit the car, he turned into a blubbering apologetic mess as he drove as fast as he could, promising to pay her back for his mistake. It had been a wild morning and here she was running with nothing but her phone, a stationery set from the hotel and her ruined sketchbook.

God, she was such a mess. A scared, but happy mess because the recent turn of events had been surprisingly fantastic and Hikaru was hers forever.

She turned the corner, spotting the doors to the lecture theatre. A sigh of relief escaping her lips at the lack of the bell. What time was it? She didn't know, but she was definitely still on time if the bell had not rung.