116: Soul Violation

JieMi swallowed, his eyes darting about nervously as he glanced at his feet. For a moment, it reminded Casper of years back when he would scold the younger boy for doing something stupid.

JieMi seemed to avoid his eyes, nervously rubbing his wrists. He looked guilty as fuck, as if he was afraid that Casper would berate him for whatever he'd done. He seemed afraid, more afraid than the time when he had declared to the entire team that he would not find his soulmate. More afraid than when he had openly said that he had no intention of getting to know her and would continue pursuing his relationship with Ha-Eun for his own happiness.

That day had been absolute chaos. A chaos that had simmered down into a controlled inner rage and hatred from each member to JieMi.

They didn't push it for MinJae's sake.

Casper had never seen MinJae so angry and twisted before. The petite, gentle boy had slammed the chair back and left the table without a word, anger and jealousy flickering in his eyes.

Casper had overheard him crying in Sieon's bed that night. Bitter and sad as he sobbed into his arms with Ezra hovering over them. That situation hadn't been resolved, and it sat at the back of everyone's throat like a bad flu. Each member hated JieMi just a little more.

But he was their best friend, and a grown man. And no amount of convincing could change JieMi's mind. He wasn't their baby anymore, the kid who once dwarfed them in size. He was a man and they respected that. Sometimes, Casper hated that stubbornness in JieMi, because it could be his downfall.

Casper waited patiently, watching as JieMi ran his hands through his hair, looking as if he wanted to say something. Then he stopped himself appearing even more conflicted, even more tortured. Casper knew the younger man wanted to spill everything to him.

"I just—I was a dick to her, I guess," JieMi pressed his lips together, tongue to his cheek. "Pushed her too much."

"What did you do?" Casper couldn't help but let the sigh of exasperation escape from his lips. Goddamnit this stupid kid.

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BAD!" JieMi's voice pitched with his guilt, his eyes red as he spoke.

He rubbed his arm frantically, shifting his weight from his left foot to his right foot. "I just—I just—She was on the street and she was sad. I think. I think she was sad because of me. Said something about fucked up souls," he swallowed, his eyes blurry with his tears.

Casper's eyes widened in alarm at the sight. JieMi was confident, he didn't cry as easily as MinJae did.

"It's all m-my fault."

"Don't say that," Casper repeated smoothly, but inside he was panicking at his words. Confused and distraught. How did they know each other? Were they friends? Lovers? Another fling? Exes? "Talk to me."

"I—" JieMi shook his head, biting his lips nervously. "I can't do this," he tore away from Casper, heading for the door and racing out of the apartment. He was out of the apartment before Casper could catch him.

When Casper pulled the door open, JieMi was gone, vanished from his sight despite the long, almost endless hallway. He spotted the elevator door at the far end closing shut.

Shit. He cursed fluently in every language he knew, stepping back to close the door. He wouldn't be able to catch him. JieMi was a fast runner, the fastest in the team. He rapidly sent a text to the boy telling him to call him as soon as possible.

"He bolted?" Oliver popped his head out and Casper turned, sighing as he slipped off his shoes.

"Yeah. He did," he shook his head, rubbing his neck with a palm. That asshole needed to face his mistakes and stop running away from them. Damn it. He blinked, eyes widening as he glanced up quickly. "Which doctor did you call?"

"Minnie's, why?" Oliver asked, his expression overflowing with his concern. Too much concern.

"JieMi said something about her soul. Minnie's doctor is a good idea," Casper nodded, turning to walk back to their unconscious guest.

"Soul? Hey, wait. Casper, I—" Oliver gripped onto his wrist and Casper turned, cocking his head to the side in question. The guy swallowed, looking nervous as he spoke. "The girl I told you about," he began biting his lips, chewing on them nervously. "That's her. Amber," he nodded to the room. "My soulmate."

Casper paused. He turned fully, staring at Oliver straight in the eye. He could hear the pound of blood rushing through his system, ringing in his ears loud and clear with each beat. His head blanked, empty as he stared at his best friend. Vaguely, he heard himself speaking. His voice sounded far away in his head.

"You're sure?" He repeated. "You're positive?"

"Yes. It's her," Oliver frowned, nodding quickly. He glanced at Casper, his eyes darting over his face, reading him, trying to understand his reaction. "You—" The doorbell rang and Casper stepped aside, grateful for the distraction. It gave him a moment to reset, a moment before his face spilt out all his deepest secrets.

Dr Eugeum was much older than they were. He was in his mid-fifties with thick hair that was peppered with silver. He came dressed professionally with a medical case in his hands and a kind, gentle smile on his face.

He was not the one who delivered the horrifying news to MinJae, but they were from the same department that specialised in the soul. MinJae had declined to see the other doctor again, saying it would make him cry.

In his exact words: he would die before he saw the other doctor again.

They greeted the doctor quickly, ushering him into the room. Casper was spilling out the basics from what he could gather from JieMi. The two of them positioned themselves at the corners of her bed, watching as the doctor pulled a chair to the bedside.

He laid out his case on the bedside table, taking out medical equipment, some of which Casper has never seen before. He watched as Dr Eugeum checked her pulse, temperature and lungs, his mind swirling with his confusion.

Amber.

His mind registered her name, running it again and again in his brain. This was Amber. His crystal girl's name was Amber. His eyes flickered to the sleeping beauty in the bed. Her eyelids fluttered drowsily, her petal red lips parting to let out a soft sigh.

Her nose scrunched a little when the doctor fiddled with the stethoscope on her chest. A tinge of concern flickered in Casper's chest. Oliver should have requested a nurse, just in case. His eyes darted to his best friend.

The guy was perched on the opposite bed, nibbling on his lips as he stared at her. The concern was bright in his eyes, his affection clear as day. He was besotted with her, Casper could see it. The entire time, his eyes never left her once.

Casper's soulmate was Oliver's Amber. He swallowed, his mind desperately trying to grasp the situation. His soulmate was Oliver's soulmate.

They shared a soulmate.

"Mr. Park?" The doctor called and Casper jolted out from his thoughts to glance at the older man. He blinked, realising that the doctor had been repeating his name and he blushed, angling his chair to face him better. Conveniently, edging closer to her and she shifted as if she knew he was there, turning her head to face him.

Fuck.

His heart raced, pounding against his ribcage.

"Sorry sir. You were saying?" He spoke, his voice was off, embarrassingly high.

"She's had a soul violation," the doctor was grim as he spoke and Casper's world fell apart. He stared blankly at the doctor, his mouth hung open in a silent gasp.

Soul violation.