Chapter 17

"Saul!" Nyra yelled as she wandered through the palace. "Where is he?" she muttered to herself. She continued walking through the halls and her annoyance was slowly becoming more and more potent. "Saul!" she yelled out again, "We're late for dinner with my father!"

A slave girl presented herself before the demigod and whispered, "My lady, I heard you're looking for your husband."

"Yes, I am. Do you know where he is dear girl?" Nyra kindly asked the girl.

"I saw him go into your chambers to put princess Rose to sleep," the girl informed Nyra.

The princess smiled, all her annoyance towards her tardy husband leaving instantly. Of course, the only reason her handsome husband would be late is because he was helping her. What a perfect husband and father he was. "Thank you, dear girl. Tell your owner that I request for you to have the rest of the day off. I'll deal with him in person if he refuses the break," Nyra told the slave girl.

The young girl nodded thankfully and tears welled in her dark brown eyes. She bowed to the demigod once more and made her exit. Nyra smiled as she left, proud of the fact that she provided respite for another.

Nyra walked down the halls of the palace to her chambers with purpose. Once she reached the opening to her chambers she slowed and took in a deep breath.

She wanted to savor the sight of Saul and Rose together. She had seen them together hundreds of times within the one month of Rose's life but she couldn't help but be filled with pure unfiltered joy every time she saw them together.

Taking a deep breath, Nyra entered the room with a large smile on her face. Within seconds her smile morphed into unfiltered horror. Twisted screams and strangled cries escaped from her delicate mouth as tears freely fell down her face. Her chest heaved up and down as to make the steady string of screams possible as she ran to her husband and child.

Both of them were dead. Rose was clenched in Saul's arms as they both lay motionless on the ground. A pool of blood was gathered underneath and around the two mortals. Saul's dark brown eyes that were once so bright and full of mischievous fun were now glassy. A deep bloody slit across his throat revealed where all of the blood originated from. Bruises and cuts along his arms accompanied the deadly cut and showed that he tried to protect his daughter, but he had failed. In his arms laid a beautiful baby girl, however, her cheeks were no longer rosy and timid cries were not wailed. She too lay motionless and was covered in blood.

Nyra sobbed over her husband's body and as she did guards, slaves, Aiden Ra (the new heir to the throne), and even the pharaoh himself charged into the room. They all stopped short at the carnage in front of them. A few of the slaves ran forward and to the two obviously dead bodies. They desperately tried to revive the former slave, their former friend, and his baby... but to no avail. One of the guards found the nearest corner and vomited his barely digested dinner as he listened to the continuous screams from the beautiful princess. Aiden and the pharaoh forcefully dragged Nyra away from her family so the slaves could have a better chance at making a miracle occur.

It was clear from the beginning that Saul and Rose were dead. It took five minutes for the slaves to inform the princess that there truly was nothing they could do. After she got the news a part of her visibly died. A light that had always shined so bright in her eyes was snuffed out and her vitalizing smile disappeared.

"Thank you for your efforts. Return to your duties," the pharaoh ordered the slaves and guards.

Quickly, everyone but Nyra, Aiden, and the pharaoh were gone. Nyra sat beside her husband and baby then cried as she traced their faces with her petite hands. Aiden and the pharaoh met each other's gazes with sorrowful eyes.A single tear fell from Aiden's gray eyes and he asked, "Who did this? Why would they do this?"

As if she was waiting for an invitation to reveal herself, Hathor, appeared near the window. She faced the window and looked longingly out at the beautiful Egyptian landscape. A breeze picked up from the window and moved her dark mane, just long enough to show her hands. They were covered in blood. In her right hand a dagger, coated in a dark red liquid, was held tightly and steadily.

"Oh my love," the pharaoh grumbled, "What have you done?"

Finally, the goddess turned around. Her ethereal beauty filled the room and almost made the misery that clouded the room go away... almost. She gave a small twisted smirk and replied, "What I had to. I denied this marriage. I said no. Yet my own daughter overruled me... I had to correct this imbalance."

"Why are you watching that?" Hathor snapped. I looked up from my orb of memories and raised an eyebrow. She saw my expression and quickly added, "I don't like when one of us revisits that particular memory."

"I'm well aware, Hathor," I replied uncaringly.

She huffed then questioned, "Then why do you torture me with this... memory?"

I looked away from Hathor and to the blue and green planet that stretched out below our feet. I used my powers to hone in on the palace in Cairo, more particularly, my son and the strange being that was called an Amari. "If she chooses to wed him, will my son have to endure something similar to what your daughter had to?" I inquired.

Her lips pouted, not happy with my open acknowledgment of her murders. She flipped her thick black hair over her shoulder and said, "No. We are sworn to not intervene with human affairs anymore."

"That is true," I replied, "Tell me, Hathor, will she make him happy?"

Her eyebrow tweaked upwards with intrigue as she responded, "I know you're only asking because you're bored... since you so obviously have a disregard for your children... but yes. She will make him happy. They're soulmates. I could feel it when I delivered that message for you. Plus, even if they weren't they'd be happy together. If Nyra marries them she'll use our power. Their marriage will only strengthen their ability to love."

—————————

Alison's P. O. V.

I stayed close to the wall so I would stay out of sight from Aiden and Nyra who were in the room. I took in a deep breath and pressed my forehead against the wall. You can do this Ali. You like Aiden. Aiden likes you. We are soulmates... probably.

"Forget it Nyra," Aiden sighed out, "Alison isn't coming back."

"She will," Nyra promised.

Aiden scoffed and asked, "How do you know?"

"As much as I hate it, Hathor is my mother... and I have quite a few of her powers. I can feel people's love for each other and their potential to love each other. You know that I turned off my powers after they died, but when you said that Thoth claimed you two were soulmates I just had to see. It's true. Your connection to her is stronger than anything I have ever sensed before. She'll marry you," Nyra revealed.

"I feel like I'm crazy," He admitted, "I've known her for only a few days... but I can feel myself falling in love with her."

He feels it too. The crazy and the undeniable pull.

"Sometimes love is just like that. That's how it was with Saul. Follow it and it can be the most awe inspiring and magical thing you've ever come across," Nyra reassured him.

I thought on her words and I smiled. Serena was always obsessed with the story of how our parents met. She was awed by the idea of love over war. She would want me to do it.

I took in a deep breath and walked through the opening in the wall. Aiden, who had been sitting on the floor quickly stood up and stared at me. Nyra's blue green eyes focused on me and she gave me a breathtaking smile.

"I'll do it!" I told Aiden, "I'll marry you."