Sixth Year // Chapter 2

The train pulled into Hogsmeade station shortly after Neville calmed me down. We exited the train together and found Hermione and Ron walking alone. They figured Harry was already heading up to the Castle so we just walked together and sat down at the table together. Ginny joined us with Dean, so it was the six of us sitting alone for a hot minute until Seamus came over and sat opposite Hermione. However, by the sorting, there was still no Harry.

"Where is he?" Hermione spoke nervously. 

"He's probably talking to Pomfrey or something, you know his tendency of getting hurt, on the train rides," I said as the last student got sorted and McGonagall took the hat away and Dumbledore clapped his hands so the food could appear on the table. 

"Still, it doesn't feel right." Hermione shifted in her seat, not touching a bit of food, while Ron starts filling his plate and mouth with food. I was locked in a conversation with Neville about Quidditch (I was very excited to be able to play again now that I am all healed and can officially play again) when Hermione tapped my shoulder and asked me a question.

"Are you sure Harry was with Slughorn? You know, earlier on the train?"

"Yes, Mione. I'm sure." I said taking another bite of mashed potatoes. "Quit overthinking everything and enjoy the feast. Look at Ron, he's clearly not too worried." I pointed at my twin who had his mouth half-full with a dessert. That was clearly not the right thing to do because Hermione grabbed a book from her bag and started beating Ron's shoulder with it.

"Will. You. Stop. Eating? Your best friend is missing!" 

"Oi! Turn around you lunatic!" Ron said aiming his spoon towards the Great Hall doors where Harry was walking in, the sleeves of his robe covered in blood and he was holding a bloody tissue up to his nose.

"He's covered in blood again. Why is it he's always covered in blood?" Ginny remarked. I chuckled at her comment and replied.

"He is Harry bloody Potter, so I guess that's why." Ginny nearly went into a laughing fit, choking on the food making Dean slap her on the back. "Sorry, Ginny. I didn't realize you were taking a bite of food.

"It's okay, I deserve it after what I said last night." Ginny reached over and took my hand. "I didn't mean it, you know that right?"

"I know, Gin. I know." I reached over and took her hand causing both Dean and Neville to awe at our apology to each other. 

"Very best of evenings, to you all!" Dumbledore said beginning his start of year speech. "First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff. Horace Slughorn. Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say that he has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the last opening in our staff for the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

"S-Snape is teaching Dark Arts?" Neville spoke with a slight hint of fear. As much as Neville has grown out of his scardy cat shell, he is still timid around Snape. Seeing as Snape has practically bullied Neville since we arrived here in 1991. 

"Don't worry, Nev. You will be great in class. Just remember all we learned in the DA last year, and how brave you were in June!"

"Yeah, you're right." He said, sounding not even the slightest bit relieved. I scanned the rest of the Hall trying to see what other students might need some cheering on during the next year and locked my eyes on the Slytherin table where Draco was sitting. Normally he was talking with his friends and laughing, except tonight he was just staring at his empty plate as if he wasn't even present. 

"Now, as you know," my attention was drawn back to Dumbledore as he began to speak once again. "Each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man, who, like you ... sat in this very hall, he walked this castle's corridors and slept under this very roof."