Chapter 3 - The Masquerade Ball

A ball. An event full of glamour, elegance, and of course nobleness. For Mari, balls were nothing but just some events that represented richness and glory for the nobility.

As usual, the ballroom was gorgeous. Enormous and magnificent chandeliers were hanging on the ceiling, giving a dazzling light all over the hall. Calming classical music was played by the orchestra while people were dancing on the wide dance floor.

Yes, this was indeed a beautiful event, Mari had to admit it, but still, she could not help but feel guilty about it. She knew that while she was dancing and supposed to „enjoy" these balls, the common people of the kingdom - her people! - were starving on the streets. And she was pretty mad about it.

After the war that took nearly five years, her kingdom had become poor. Although her father had won the war, it had made France impoverished and helpless. And instead of helping out the people who had suffered the most, her father kept holding events like this to maintain the respectabilities that the kingdom was wealthy as ever.

And the worst thing of all was the noble "gentlemen". At these balls, she always had to dance with all of the available bachelors since any of them could be her future husband. Yes, she was aware of it and ready to accept that she would have no choice but an arranged marriage in order to take the throne one day. It was her father's "only" will if she really wanted to become the queen of France.

Although she did not want to obey this as she was a hopeless romantic girl who only wanted to marry by love, she had no other choice. Unfortunately, it was not only her father's will but the French law. So after many arguments with the king, she had eventually given in and accepted her fate.

Even though she knew that this was the reason she had to dance with as many suitors as she could, she just could not help but feel disgusted by them. It was not their appearance that she did not like but their personality. All of these guys were just some snobbish and pretty egomaniac men who were not able to talk about anything but their titles and fortune. If only once she had met with a nice, kind guy who would not only see the princess, but the young woman behind the title!

This hope (or rather a daydream) was almost the only reason she survived these balls. The possibility to find the man of her dreams. But this just made her situation even worse. With time she had begun to doubt that this dream of hers could have come true one day so she had started to lose all of her hope and just pretended that she enjoyed mingling with these snooty bachelors.

Tonight's event seemed to be no different. As she was dancing with the umpteen guy (she did not even know his name) Marinette decided to take a break and go to Alya who was standing on the other side of the ballroom among the other ladies.

Just as she was heading towards her, Mari met with her old friend, Mrs. Clumsiness again, and stepped on her dress which made her immediately lose her balance.

A little shriek left her mouth as she began to fall. As she had gotten used to it, Mari tried to prepare herself for the upcoming awkwardness. After all these years, no matter how careful she tried to be, it seemed like a part of her personality to be clumsy. Throughout the years she had always managed to embarrass herself.

But now, instead of falling and making a fool out of herself, a strong but gentle hand dragged her wrist.

Her gaze met with a pair of immersive green eyes that immediately sent Mari butterflies into her stomach. A tall, attractive young man looked at her, his expression instantly changed from cold into a soft, warm smile.

„Are you alright?" the mysterious man asked as he helped Mari gain her balance back, not letting go of her hand.

„Ye-yes. Thank you for helping!" - said Mari while her cheeks turned red from the awkward situation. How, just how could she be so careless all the time?! Moreover, she did it in front of this guy who was the most attractive man she had ever seen and not only was he a real gentleman but looking at his clothing, Mari knew that he had to be someone important member of the nobleness.