Prologue

6 YEARS AGOBATON ROUGE, LOUSIANA

6 YEARS AGO
BATON ROUGE, LOUSIANA

"Kaizier is a great student, but I refuse to continue on enabling his behavior," His principal spoke, "This is the nineth fight he's been in, and it's only the second quarter, Mrs. Romono."

Kaizier could feel his mother staring at him, but he ignored her.

He slumped down in his seat, his hoodie over his head as he listened to the two adults talk about him, like he wasn't even in the room.

"Kaizier Desean Gaulden!" His mother scolded, "What the hell were you fighting for this time?"

Kai glanced at his mother before looking back down at his bloody knuckles. He stared at the skin that was bruised and slightly split open. This being the only injury he had from the fight. The other boy left with a bloody nose.

"You don't hear me talking to you, boy?" His mother plucked his ear before rolling her eyes, "Ight, I got sum' fa you."

The principal frowned at Kaizier who just continued to quietly stare at his bleeding hands.

"This will have to be a three week suspension, Mrs. Romono. The next offense, he'll be expelled or sent to a reform school. He's a sweet boy, quiet, and does his work. Kaizier is smarter than he lets on, and he's one of my favorite little students."

Kaizier looked up at his principal, seeing that she was already smiling his way.

She was a black women, probably in her early thirties. She was pretty, and kind.

Kaizier liked her.

"Thank you, Mrs. Henry. We'll be on our way."

His mother stood up, clutching his arm and forcing him up. He didn't say a word as he walked, his mother hot on his tail, out of the school.

"I won't tolerate this ghetto behavior, Kaizier. I raised you better than this."

He ignored her as he climbed into the passenger seat of her Range Rover. Kaizier slammed the car door closed before he just continued to stare straight.

Karin, his mother, made her way into the drivers seat. She closed the door before popping him in the mouth, as black mothers do.

"Slam my doors again, see I won't leave you on the side of the road." She mumbled, starting up the car and driving out the parking lot.

Kaizier rolled his eyes. He never took her threats serious. He really didn't even like his mother. He had no respect for her.

She was a self-hating black women, that wanted to be every lick of white so bad.

"Dey was talkin' bout daddy again." Kaizier mumbled, "Sayin' all types stuff. He deserve ta die in jail and allat. He ain't did them shit."

She looked out the corner of her eye, sighing. "Kai, your hooligan ass father robbed a bank and killed four people in there. He deserves that damn cell he sitting in."